Spectacular new Church to arise over Lubyanka Sq.

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Barbara
Protoposter

Spectacular new Church to arise over Lubyanka Sq.

Post by Barbara »

"... the ground is being prepared for the construction of a new, large church dedicated to the New Martyrs of Russia. After all, this very ground was soaked in the blood of Orthodox Christians who died for their faith during the early years of communist-atheist rule."

I could not get the picture to show up. The architecture is stunning.

Page down aways to view this great idea to atone for all the horrible tragedies perpetrated by Feliks Dzhershinsky, head of the Cheka, predecessor of the GPU, OGPU, NKVD, MGB, and eventually the KGB. These wicked agencies all operated from here, Lubyanka Square. Not long ago, Dzhershinsky's statue was still located here. Hope it will be incinerated to make way for the graceful new New Martyrs Memorial Church.

How fitting it would be to have a beautiful Cathedral on this location with this highly appropriate dedication.

Apparently the process is underway, or nearly so. I see Bp Tikhon [Shevkunov] has been issuing holiday greetings for the last year or so with pastel watercolor images of what looks like the facade of the planned edifice.

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/68475.htm

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Spectacular new Church to arise over Lubyanka Sq.

Post by Maria »

Here is another link with similar news:

http://www.serfes.org/royal/russianOrthodox.htm

For the image of the new Church to appear, I clicked img on the tool bar above this window.
Next, using your mouse, right click the picture and then select Copy Image Location from the drop down menu. Then insert this jpg image between the two brackets. Image

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Muchas Gracias !

I did as you suggested and clicked "Quote" - a strategy which I would never have contemplated attempting otherwise -
and tried to sift through what you did.

I am going to have to practice this technique. At least I know HOW in theory now !

No, your link to Archimandrite Nektarios' site is regarding the Royal Martyrs, not the New Martyrs.
That archimandrite, though Greek, is deeply devoted to the former. He studied at Jordanville here and there, or at least spent summers there, meeting all the Rocor luminaries of the era.
He thus was well acquainted with the entire Church Abroad beliefs and worldview.

Speaking of which, I liked this quotation from the AP article :

"The Russian Orthodox Church Abroad, which split with the Moscow-based bishops in the 1920s over their support for the atheist Soviet government, has already done so."

That sums it up tidily. It's impressive that a secular news agency with little grasp of "White vs Red" Church politics, was able to articulate the problem so clearly for general readers.

Quotation found at the same page cited by Maria : http://www.serfes.org/royal/russianOrthodox.htm

For clarification : Fr Demetrios Serfes, author of that site, was elevated to the rank of Archimandrite in the Greek Archdiocese. He has not updated his pages much for quite some time.

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

Serfes is an ecumenist.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Yes. Absolutely ! But he knows better because he was taught directly - informally, I believe - but personally -
by Archbishiop Averky. He also knew Metropolitan Philaret very slightly and had the deepest respect for all of these.
He published a booklet on Archbishop Averky [ who was condemned by Metropolitan Philaret for allowing Copts to concelebrate at Jordanville's Holy Trinity Church, but otherwise was a staunch follower of the Rocor general line ].

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Some news about the New Martyrs and Confessors Church being built right near the Soviet-era headquarters of the dread KGB and its earlier versions :

"construction is nearing its end on the new church which will immortalize the podvig of the New Martyrs and Confessors of the Russian Church. He expressed hope that the church would be consecrated on March 15, 2017—the year of the 100th anniversary of the great and fearful revolution which so shook all the foundations of the Russian Fatherland and Church.

“This church,” Vladyka Tikhon highlighted, “is being built in order to pray to those who received a tragic and holy death, and now intercede for us before the Lord, but also to contemplate these events and to learn a lesson from them, and those one hundred years of our state and Church history which began in tragic 1917…

For us it’s quite important that by God’s Providence, precisely on this day [the patronal feast of Sretensky Monastery ] the feast of the Meeting of the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God—comes this special stage in the building of the church: the elevating of its cupolas and holy crosses.”

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/96875.htm

The metal work on the dome is beautiful. Does anyone know the term for this ?
It's rare to find as far as I know on Russian cupolas.
Well, the New Martyrs absolutely deserve the extra embellishment !

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Update furnished about the entry doors of the Church, on which are sculpted out of bronze metal some of the New Martyrs and other holy figures :

" In 2017, the 100-year anniversary of the revolution in Russia that had such tragic consequences for the Russian Orthodox Church, a new cathedral will be consecrated in Sretensky Monastery, dedicated to the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia, “On the Blood, on Lubyanka”—so called because of the martyrs who died here at the hands of the KGB.

The Moscow sculptors Vitaly Shanov and his wife Darya Uspenskaya are working on the cathedral doors. These doors will consist of a large poured bronze bas-relief, filled from edge to edge with ornamental figures, saints, angels, and text. This bold artistic design, based on known iconographic traditions, is a unique approach."

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/foto/set1583.htm

Incredibly talented sculptors these are. Look at the detail, even to the names of the Saints/New Martyrs in their haloes.
What a marvel.

How many Churches around the world would like similar work done for THEIR portals !

The two halves of the [ primary ? ] doorway together. Difficult to see well

Closeups

How one half of an entryway will look when installed :