What if the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue succeeds?

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

What if the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue succeeds?

Post by Justice »

I've been wondering this ever since I began looking into Traditional Orthodoxy, I think it will be one of the three predictions below:

A. The World Orthodox will try and reach out to the True Orthodox jurisdictions only to be rejected. The Patriarch and Pope would then make a statement that the True Orthodox are heretics for not accepting the false reunion.

B. The World Orthodox would begin to unleash a wave of persecution on the True Orthodox much bigger than seen in 1924. The Patriarch and other Schismatic sects would declare this horrible persecution justified.

C. Would the congregants of both the Roman Catholic and World Orthodox churches finally wake up and see that ecumenism is a heresy and return to the Traditional church despite the Patriarch and Popes pleas.

I think it could be a mix of choice A and choice B. But what do you think?

NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Re: What if the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue succeeds?

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

I propose another option:

D. Nothing happens. Orthodox and Roman dialogue continues to go nowhere except among the academics, as always. Old Calendarism essentially dies out in America on its own. Business as usual.

Rumors of (world) Orthodoxy uniting with Rome are overblown in my opinion. Saint Alexis Toth, who is famous more than anything for bringing hundred of parishes out of the grasp of Rome and into Orthodoxy, was canonized relatively recently by the OCA in 1994. And other than Constantinople the OCA is probably one of the more strongly-condemned jurisdictions on this forum. There are many in may parish alone who converted from Roman Catholicism (including myself, but only sort-of), and a significant number came from Anglicanism and other Protestant sects. In all, about half of our parish were not raised Orthodox. None of us want to go back to where we were, don't worry.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: What if the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue succeeds?

Post by Justice »

NotChrysostomYet wrote:

I propose another option:

D. Nothing happens. Orthodox and Roman dialogue continues to go nowhere except among the academics, as always. Old Calendarism essentially dies out in America on its own. Business as usual.

Rumors of (world) Orthodoxy uniting with Rome are overblown in my opinion. Saint Alexis Toth, who is famous more than anything for bringing hundred of parishes out of the grasp of Rome and into Orthodoxy, was canonized relatively recently by the OCA in 1994. And other than Constantinople the OCA is probably one of the more strongly-condemned jurisdictions on this forum. There are many in may parish alone who converted from Roman Catholicism (including myself, but only sort-of), and a significant number came from Anglicanism and other Protestant sects. In all, about half of our parish were not raised Orthodox. None of us want to go back to where we were, don't worry.

Traditional Orthodoxy can't die, there will always be people wanting to resist ecumenism and preserve Holy Tradition. As for the dialogue being overblown I can't say I agree with that. I don' think unification will happen for a long time, but what Patriarch Bartholomew is doing is definitely bringing both churches together at a faster rate than any of his predecessors.