1 Day in Seminarian's Life: Jordanville video

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Barbara
Protoposter

1 Day in Seminarian's Life: Jordanville video

Post by Barbara »

A Jordanville video to introduce prospective seminarians to what their life would be like should they enroll at Holy Trinity Seminary in upstate New York was just released, "A Day in the Life of A Seminarian".
The new Dean, Archpriest Alexander Webster, looks like a tremendous choice to lead the venerable Rocor-MP institution, and all those interviewed sound professional.

The aerial views of Holy Trinity Monastery are beautiful.

I disliked, however, the beginning part which wastes time with a string of letters flashing across the screen. It never seemed to end, at least for me, who was impatiently drumming my fingers on the tabletop.
The accompanying whishing sound irritated me. Maybe it's supposed to add some pizzazz to attract the younger generation, but the noise grated. Or it may rather be a trademark intro for all videos made by the Eastern American Diocese of Rocor.
Why not instead play some quiet Russian Orthodox chant, or a bit of one of the anthems, instead of that flashy, worldly start of the video ? Everyone needs to slow down these days. It is just that calming chant which has drawn many to Orthodoxy.

About the new Dean, we have a thread already about his incisive expose and background : http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... ter#p69927

He makes the good point that seminarians are future Priests [ and Deacons, etc ].

Around 9 minutes of content :

PS - at 2:22, the word integral is mispronounced - it should be INT-egral. Many people make that mistake.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: 1 Day in Seminarian's Life: Jordanville video

Post by Justice »

Barbara wrote:

A Jordanville video to introduce prospective seminarians to what their life would be like should they enroll at Holy Trinity Seminary in upstate New York was just released, "A Day in the Life of A Seminarian".
The new Dean, Archpriest Alexander Webster, looks like a tremendous choice to lead the venerable Rocor-MP institution, and all those interviewed sound professional.

ROCOR-MP isn't a venerable institution as it preaches heresy.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:
Barbara wrote:

ROCOR-MP isn't a venerable institution as it preaches heresy.

Exactly. Perhaps Barbara was not aware of her choice of words. Holy Trinity Seminary was indeed a venerable institution until they started siding with the MP around 2000, and started teaching heresies like sergianism, ecumenism, etc.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thanks for pointing that out. I was editing and probably changed things around a few times without noticing that RocorMP showed up in the final draft instead of Rocor. All agree that the Monastery and Seminary were directed from the start by many unusual and holy people, so the Seminary is definitely a venerable institution. 2 of the 1st 4 First Hierarchs of Rocor are buried underneath the main Holy Trinity Church, along with Archbishop Tikhon [Troitsky], a very senior hierarch of the Church Abroad. Many other special souls are buried in the cemetery [ like the incorrupt Bp Constantine [Essensky], recently reburied there ].

Speaking of which, I wonder whether there were negotiations in these decades since the repose of Metropolitan Anthony, the 1st First Hierarch of Rocor, to rebury him there at Jordanville. Has anyone heard anything about that ? He is buried in Belgrade now, where he reposed in 1936.