Orthodox Veneration of the Theotokos

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Serge

Post by Serge »

I

Logos

Post by Logos »

[quote]I

fserafim
Jr Member

Post by fserafim »

Good questions and very pertinent to our times of rational thinking and education. Here I believe we have to cross the 'mystical' line. When Christ tells the Jews that they must eat His body, many turned away in disgust and disappointment. Here was a great teacher, a prophet and healer and yet He made statements that went beyond common decorum and reason. Those who remained, probably had to make a shift from limited reason to the realm of faith. They knew instinctively that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God. We too have to make the shift from biblical criticism (Protestant and Jewish) to the mystical realm of faith. I would suggest reading an akathistos to the Theotokos and put your doubt on the back burner. Do you believe that St John of Shanghai was able to pass through closed doors? You won't learn that in our physics classroom. Of course if you enter the realm of nuclear physics then you will discover that our familiar physical world is not what it seems.

The Church teaches: "..placed as an infant in the holy sanctuary, to be reared by the hands of an angel" - St Andrew of Crete. "Fed by angels..the child grew and became strong" - St Germanos of Constantinople. "She passed not a few years in the holy of holies itself, wherein under the care of an angel she enjoyed ineffable nourishment such as even Adam did not succeed in tasting.." - St Gregory Palamas, Homily 37. We read in Exodus how the Israelites were fed in the wilderness with the "bread of angels". St Elijah and the Holy Prophet Daniel were fed by an angel. St John of Shanghai says that the VM prayed so often in the holy of holies, that she could be said to have lived there.

Yours in Christ,

Fr Serafim

Serge

Post by Serge »

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Fr. Serafim,

Father, Bless

Interesting points! I don't think the Jewish fellows will like that answer, but you've certainly given me something(s) to think about. :)

Seraphim Reeves

Thank-you, Father

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Father, bless!

Your answer certainly satisified my vain curiosity. Please pray for me, and my family (including my new-wife...which reminds me, I really need to change my tag line!) :)

Seraphim

fserafim
Jr Member

Post by fserafim »

A brief note for Serge.

Bog blagoslovit! The Feast of the Entry of the Theotokos was observed in Palestine in 4th century. St Helena commissioned a porch or arch in honour of this feast.

Anyway s prazdnikom for St Spyridon and St Herman!

Yours in Christ,

Fr Serafim