Saint Averky of Jordanville?

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
searn77
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Americas & Brit. Isles

Saint Averky of Jordanville?

Post by searn77 »

I thought I remembered hearing that there was a Russian TOC synod that glorified Archbishop Averky of Jordanville. Is that correct, or was it a different ROCOR hierarch that was glorified, or am I completely wrong? I know Saint Philaret and Saint John Maximovitch have both been glorified but I thought there was another ROCOR hierarch that was glorified as well.

Troparion of St. Philaret of New York
Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.

Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Re: Saint Averky of Jordanville?

Post by Priest Antonios »

searn77,

I have never heard anyone refer to Archbishop Averky, of blessed memory, as a saint in any official sense. I too would love to know how he is generally viewed by the TOCs.

-Dcn Antonios

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Saint Averky of Jordanville?

Post by Barbara »

Yes, I remember hearing this, too. Which jurisdiction it was, I am not sure, though.
Possibly ROCiE ?
Maybe it was a projected plan but was not realized in the case of Archbishop Averky {Taushev}.
Just saw some nice real life footage of him in the trailer for a film about the life of Met Petros of Astoria.
This same movie-reel-type film was discussed earlier on E. Cafe.

It was enlivening to see these historic scenes. Better, they are now integrated into what will become a full length documentary, including a section on Met Petros' contacts with Rocor.
Hence the scenes of Archbishop Averky's arrival at Astoria, blessings of people, and at the trapeza after a service.
These scenes are dated 1976, so it is clear why Abp Averky is helped to walk. He reposed in April of that year.

Mentioning this in case anyone feels like reviewing some rare glimpses of the former Archbishop of Syracuse and Holy Trinity, as well as Rector of Holy Trinity Seminary. The trailer is for "The Resistance to Ecumenism" :

I see from wikipedia that this well-known Rocor hierarch was born in Kazan on October 19, 1906. Not sure exactly what date that would be on the civil calendar, due to the discrepancy with the system in Tsarist Russia which seems to have been 12 ? days behind rather than the standard 13 day difference between Old and New Calendars ?

As a youth, he moved to Varna, Bulgaria, where he graduated from the Russian high school there. After time spent in various Central European countries, he left to teach at Jordanville in 1951.