Hieromonk Elia Rejected by the ROAC, Officially

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Monk George

Hieromonk Elia Rejected by the ROAC, Officially

Post by Monk George »

According to the Diocesan Resolution of His Eminence Metropolitan Valentine, No. 49, dated March 7, 2004, the petition of Hieromonk Elia of the Burning Bush Hermitage in Mississippi to enter the ROAC has been denied. This denial is due to his violations of ecclesiastical order. He is not part, and never has been part, of the ROAC.

Therefore, it should be noted that all websites (4 in number) established by Fr. Elia with the name of the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church (ROAC/AROC) on them and linked to Fr. Elia's Burning Bush website are not to be considered in any way connected with the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church. Everything within those websites (and, specifically, those unorthodox statements about the Jerusalem Patriarchate, about Islam, about the Taliban, and his unacceptable ideas about Orthodoxy in general) is only the fabrication of his own mind.

Dormition Skete
A Monastery of the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church
http://www.BuenaVistaCO.com/GOC
http://www.ROACAmerica.org

"Obedience is Life and the Opposite is also True."

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Man, you guys are a mess.

:ohvey:

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Ugh. Do you ever quit? Even on a Sunday before Liturgy???

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Man, you find any reason to say something negative.

This was not about us. This is about someone we did not accept. Someone impersonating as a member of ROAC and having fictitious sites claiming that they are official sites of ROAC. So it is not about us, but about him. It is unfortunate a statement like this had to be made public, but because of Elia's statements it had to be. A sad situation, but not a reason for you to demean ROAC, Peter.

Joseph D

Post by Joseph D »

"Elia" is a singular individual in so many ways. He could have been an Ephraim-like cult figure were he not given to such bizarre fits of hostility. I, yes even I, was initially impressed with him for a brief period of weeks a few years ago, though I never met him in person. I do not know to which jurisdiction that "monastery" in Mississippi belongs, but if there were any legal way of taking it back and getting that poor man some professional help it would be a good thing. He is more than just a cynic, the pathetic creature meets something of a special criteria. I cannot believe that the ROAC would even need to make a public statement about his jurisdictional status; this censure has been misapplied. The man ought to be studied by those who can make sense of his behavior. He ought to be committed to a mental hospital. If any Orthodox bishop ever had authority over Elia, that bishop aught to take pity on him, and responsibility for him, and do what is obviously necessary.

Yessir, that's a fact.

Sincerely,
Joseph

Deacon Tikhon

Re: Ugh. Do you ever quit? Even on a Sunday before Liturgy??

Post by Deacon Tikhon »

Nicholas wrote:

Man, you find any reason to say something negative.

This was not about us. This is about someone we did not accept. Someone impersonating as a member of ROAC and having fictitious sites claiming that they are official sites of ROAC. So it is not about us, but about him. It is unfortunate a statement like this had to be made public, but because of Elia's statements it had to be. A sad situation, but not a reason for you to demean ROAC, Peter.

I am a newcomer here. Is a traditionalist member of the ROCA welcome?
I have been posting on the "Christian Forums" Orthodox section, and have been getting attacked for three weeks because I dared to dispute why Copts are posting on an Orthodox Forum. And had some that claim to be Orthodox lambasting me for saying that True Orthodox accept all 7 of the Holy Ecumenical Councils.

Just wondering.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Dear Tikhon,

Welcome! Indeed you are welcome here. We are a traditionalist Orthodox forum and while at one time we were mostly ROCOR, we now have a pretty even number of members that are GOC, ROAC, ROCA, Serbian, JP, etc. We do not, however have many ROCiE, Matthewite or HOCNA members.

We are no politically correct and call heresy a heresy, but try to be a friendly forum.

Deacon Tikhon

Thanks much!

Post by Deacon Tikhon »

I was wondering if there is a way to put an Icon of St. Tikhon, for my Avatar? I didn't see one around.

Thanks for the welcome. It is nice to see some REAL Orthodox groups.
I am not familar with any other than Russian Church Abroad. Maybe you could enlighten me if you have the time.

Pleasure being here!

Tikhon+ (Deacon & Texan)