St Catherine's Mt Sinai

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Myrrh

St Catherine's Mt Sinai

Post by Myrrh »

JAMESthePERSIAN
Jr Member

Re: St Catherine's Mt Sinai

Post by JAMESthePERSIAN »

Myrrh wrote:

Video on St Catherine's

http://www.getty.edu/art/installation_h ... video.html

Thanks... I had seen that before, but I always enjoy St. Catherines... What a marvelous place. I think they have had like 3.5 million services there!!!

WOW!

All Saints of America Orthodox Mission, Located in Dequeen Arkansas. The Mission strives to provide a welcoming community, in a quiet country setting, where individual members can work out their salvation and serve as a witness to the Orthodox Faith.
http://www.allsaintsofamerica.com/

Myrrh

Post by Myrrh »

It's a wonderful place. I went there with a tour group and the lecturer, English, knowing I was Orthodox said I should tell them I was, and when I didn't she took control and told one of the monks who came to check it out and he sent me to the Abbot to ask about venerating St Catherine's relics, I wear the ring. They also opened up the icon room for us which was closed at the time for some reason, and the well known icon of Christ is, extraordinary. The video brought it all back, I'd left my camera on the bus so haven't any photos of it. Oh, and we nearly didn't make it. There was a short freak storm the night before which cut a swathe across the peninsula and brought down rocks which blocked the road. One of the tour guides spent several hours on the phone trying to get it cleared in time for our bus after being told we wouldn't be able to make it. She didn't tell us until we arrived because she wasn't sure we would, but that explained the road crews we'd seen packing up.

The journey there was special too, the scenery is very beautiful in the colours and forms of the mountains, and the lunchtime spread arranged at the village which protects the monastery was superb, everything I tasted delicious. If you ever get the opportunity to go..

Myrrh

JAMESthePERSIAN
Jr Member

Post by JAMESthePERSIAN »

Thanks Myrrh.....
If I could visit one single Holy Place, St. Catherines would be it.....
So many amazing things have come from there, and so many amazing Saints spent time there. Few people realize that this site is considered Holy to Muslims and Jews as well as Christians. They even posess a letter of protection from Muhammed, with his handprint in blood affixed.

All Saints of America Orthodox Mission, Located in Dequeen Arkansas. The Mission strives to provide a welcoming community, in a quiet country setting, where individual members can work out their salvation and serve as a witness to the Orthodox Faith.
http://www.allsaintsofamerica.com/

1937 Miraculous Cross

Post by 1937 Miraculous Cross »

that was a great link. Thanks. I wished we had more short on-line
videos of churchs, monasteries, and other holy sites like that
available. I have two new friends that I'm starting to share the Faith
with and I sent it on to them. I think that video shows the
depth of our Faith and worship that most Americans are totally
unaccustomed to.

in Christ,
nectarios

fpaulo