Divine Liturgy - Eucharist

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Re: Divine Liturgy - Eucharist

Post by Lydia »

When an Orthodox priests takes Communion to the sick, the faithful present don't prostrate before The Holy Gifts, do they? Are we supposed to?

Lydia

Post by Lydia »

Another implication of Orthodox Eucharistology is that participation in the Body and Blood of Christ means that we partake of the divinity of Christ... for communion is an actual communion, St. John of Damascus asserts, because through it we have com­munion with Christ and share in His divinity through His flesh: yea, we have communion and are united with one another by it. For since we partake of one bread, we all become one body of Christ and one blood and members one of another, being of one body with Christ. In other words, the Eucharist forms us into a people, a unique people, a race in God, a nation which is called by Thy Name 0 Christ, our God, declares a prayer of the Matins. And, of course, anyone familiar with the New Testament knows the famous passage, But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people.. (1 Pet. ii, 9)1

Consequently, the Eucharist is not to be understood as predominantly a means to individual salvation or a stimulant to personal devotion. Too many believers have lost sight of not only the ponderous and formid­able mystery that the Eucharist is, not only the onto-logical purport of the sacrament, but that it creates the fellowship of the Church, the very unity of God's People. Holy Communion is not a personal matter, something by which we cure some illness or to protect the recipient on his journey or insure the success of some business venture; and, indeed, the Communion is not to be received only two or three times a year or as many times as the individual thinks he needs it. Ideally, the Faithful should participate in the Eucharist at every Liturgy, as the Canon Law demands. 2 We have no legal prescription here, for the canons are merely expressions of the Church's Faith which, in this case, is that the Eucharist is an act of the Church, for the Church, by the Church — for the purpose of building up, edifying (Eph. iv, 12) the Body of Christ through the constant and increased incorporation of Her sons into the Life of the God-Man. Clearly, the heterodox cannot receive the Eucharist (or any sacra­ment) of the Church under any conditions, for they are not members of the Orthodox Church — nor, indeed, do they have sacraments of their own or a church of their own, for, if they did, then, either there are two Christs or true faith is not a divinely established prerequisite for either participation in the Eucharist or membership in the Church.

http://orthodoxyinfo.org/EucharistAzkoul.htm

This is an excerpt from the above web page written by Father Michael Azkoul, who is a priest in GOC-Kallinikos. It explains that the Eucharist is meant for communion, not personal adoration.

NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

Post by NadirGP »

Lydia wrote:

This is an excerpt from the above web page written by Father Michael Azkoul, who is a priest in GOC-Kallinikos. It explains that the Eucharist is meant for communion, not personal adoration.

Lydia,
As usual, you read what is not there. In other words, you put words in the poster’s mouth, which were never said, such as

personal adoration

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Lydia

Post by Lydia »

The author presents that the Eucharist is a an act of communion. Eucharistic adoration is a Latin innovation that is not a part of Orthodox worship. We obey Our Lord Jesus Christ when He says "take, eat."
He did not say "worship." And so we do not. This is the preserved faith of The Orthodox Church.
That we prostrate ourselves before The Divine Gifts during the liturgy, does not mean that we do or should worship Them in the same manner as Roman Catholics do. This is part of what your article strives to do.
The Orthodox Church does not use logic or reasoning to determine its doctrine or worship. The faithful preserve what has been handed down as tradition.
If you are interested, you should familiarize yourself with the worship traditions of The Orthodox Church. The best way to do this is personally. The door is always open.

NadirGP

Post by NadirGP »

Lydia wrote:

The author presents that the Eucharist is a an act of communion. Eucharistic adoration is a Latin innovation that is not a part of Orthodox worship. We obey Our Lord Jesus Christ when He says "take, eat."
He did not say "worship." And so we do not. This is the preserved faith of The Orthodox Church.
That we prostrate ourselves before The Divine Gifts during the liturgy, does not mean that we do or should worship Them in the same manner as Roman Catholics do. This is part of what your article strives to do.
The Orthodox Church does not use logic or reasoning to determine its doctrine or worship. The faithful preserve what has been handed down as tradition.
If you are interested, you should familiarize yourself with the worship traditions of The Orthodox Church. The best way to do this is personally. The door is always open.

Lydia,
Your writing does not prove anything, except that you must be right and I must be wrong because I do not belong to your Church. Your haughty attitude does not convince me of your rightness and Orthodox superiority.

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

NadirGP wrote:
Lydia wrote:

Lydia,
Your writing does not prove anything, except that you must be right and I must be wrong because I do not belong to your Church. Your haughty attitude does not convince me of your rightness and Orthodox superiority.

Nadir,

Please be careful not to judge others.

Since True Orthodox are not involved in the Ecumenical Movement, whenever we encounter strange doctrines and teachings, we try to correct the errors presented. Yes, perhaps we should be wording our responses more carefully so as not to offend, but I think what you are interpreting as "haughty" is actually a strong love for the truth, which we cannot compromise as Christ is the Truth, the Light, and our Life.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

NadirGP

Post by NadirGP »

Nadir,
Please be careful not to judge others.

Since True Orthodox are not involved in the Ecumenical Movement, whenever we encounter strange doctrines and teachings, we try to correct the errors presented. Yes, perhaps we should be wording our responses more carefully so as not to offend, but I think what you are interpreting as "haughty" is actually a strong love for the truth, which we cannot compromise as Christ is the Truth, the Light, and our Life.

Maria,

Since you are the moderator of this Forum, and for the sake of “strong love for the truth”, as you put it, you have to defend your Orthodox position and the others in it, of course. As far as I am concerned, I have to say, and this probably my last statement: I got very little truth out from Lydia and the likes of her in this Forum. I have no patience with contentious and I am even less tolerant with people who have an inkling to the Talmudic philosophy.
The lowest point,
Nadir