Marriage

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Marriage

Post by Lydia »

If two people who had a civil marriage became Orthodox, would they then go through the Orthodox marriage service since it is a Sacrament?
If True orthodox demand that those who were "baptized" in heterodox confessions be baptized wouldn't the same apply to marriage?
I know of one couple who became Orthodox many years ago, but were not "remarried."

Another question: If a wife wanted to become Orthodox but her husband forbids it (he is muslim) what would happen?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Marriage

Post by Maria »

Lydia wrote:

If two people who had a civil marriage became Orthodox, would they then go through the Orthodox marriage service since it is a Sacrament?
If True orthodox demand that those who were "baptized" in heterodox confessions be baptized wouldn't the same apply to marriage?
I know of one couple who became Orthodox many years ago, but were not "remarried."

Another question: If a wife wanted to become Orthodox but her husband forbids it (he is muslim) what would happen?

First Question:
I was told, please correct me if I am wrong, that when a couple is baptized into Holy Orthodoxy with the permission of the Bishop, and receive Holy Communion together, then that is a sign of marriage as it is Christ Who unites the couple in Holy Matrimony. This is why the newly married couple are offered Holy Communion. Their first food as new Christians and as newlyweds is the very Body and Blood of Christ. It is not just the cup of blessing, but Holy Communion. If, however, the husband and his Bishop were to discern that this man has a calling to the diaconate or priesthood, then that couple would be officially married in the Church so as not to scandalize the weak.

In World Orthodoxy, the newlywed couple usually only receives blessed wine in "the cup of blessing." They do not partake of the "Chalice of Salvation," which contains the most precious Body and Blood of Christ. Furthermore, the World Orthodox have defiled the Holy Mystery of Crowning by allowing inter-faith marriages where the World Orthodox are allowed to marry Catholics or Protestants, as long as they had a "valid" baptism.

In the early church, the marriage ceremony was the act of receiving communion together with the blessing of the bishop.

Second Question:
If a wife wanted to become Orthodox, but her husband forbids it because he is a staunch Muslim, then he or any of the Muslim relatives could probably kill her should she declare her wish to become Orthodox because that would be a denial of Islam.

There was a woman who lived in Southern California who was from a Muslim family. At an early age, she married a Muslim man. Through her work associates, she discovered Holy Orthodoxy, and wanted to become Orthodox. While she was inquiring about Orthodoxy, her husband found out and they had a nasty argument. He forbade her to have any more contact with her friends. Not only did she have to quit her job, but also she had to separate from her husband and find a safe refuge because her relatives on both sides of the family were seeking to kill her. She was baptized into Holy Orthodoxy and teaches classes to the children of the parish.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Actually, I'm pretty sure receiving Communion right after marriage is no longer the norm even in True Orthodoxy. At least I have not yet been to an Orthodox marriage where the couple received communion afterwards (though I haven't been to many marriages!). I think the custom fell into abeyance because it is the couple's first night together, but if they had just received communion they would not be able to have sexual relations on their wedding night, so as a concession to their weakness they only partake of a cup of blessed wine rather than communion.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure receiving Communion right after marriage is no longer the norm even in True Orthodoxy. At least I have not yet been to an Orthodox marriage where the couple received communion afterwards (though I haven't been to many marriages!). I think the custom fell into abeyance because it is the couple's first night together, but if they had just received communion they would not be able to have sexual relations on their wedding night, so as a concession to their weakness they only partake of a cup of blessed wine rather than communion.

The World Orthodox allow an Orthodox Christian and a Catholic/Protestant to participate in the Holy Mystery of Crowning.
Why do they allow a non-Orthodox to be crowned? When did they start allowing Orthodox Christians to marry the heterodox? Was this after Vatican II?

True Orthodox, on the other hand, specify that if a couple is to be married in the Orthodox Church, then both of the parties must be Orthodox Christians in good standing.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

The World Orthodox offer the "Chalice of Blessing" to the Newlyweds since most of the marriages performed today are inter-faith marriages. However, in the Serbian Orthodox Church, at least here in the West, if both the bride and the groom are Orthodox Christians, then they are married during the regular Sunday Divine Liturgy. They have done this to encourage marriages between Orthodox Christians. Incidentally, when my son married his bride, both received Holy Communion from the Chalice during their Greek Orthodox Crowning Ceremony.

I was told by a True Orthodox Priest that it is normal to offer Holy Communion to the bride and groom at their Holy Crowning because both are Orthodox Christian.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Well all I know is what's customary at St Markella's since I've only been to weddings there, and there they did not receive communion. We are strict about not performing church weddings for inter-faith couples, however. As I said, receiving communion after the wedding is part of the authentic marriage service, so what your priest says is correct, but I've also read that because of the traditional abstinence from sexual relations for one day after receiving, marriage services are typically not combined with communion any longer. It could be things work differently in your jurisdiction!

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

jgress wrote:

Well all I know is what's customary at St Markella's since I've only been to weddings there, and there they did not receive communion. We are strict about not performing church weddings for inter-faith couples, however. As I said, receiving communion after the wedding is part of the authentic marriage service, so what your priest says is correct, but I've also read that because of the traditional abstinence from sexual relations for one day after receiving, marriage services are typically not combined with communion any longer. It could be things work differently in your jurisdiction!

The GOC denies communion to a newly-married couple so that they can have marital relations right away? That's a rather sad commentary on human weakness.
It's a good thing Russian wedding receptions last all day and all night! :D