Pious Traditional Fasting and Communion Guidelines

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

We have it easy in the 21st Century!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

In looking into this further, if one does not fast from dairy and eggs during Lent, according to CANON LVI of the 102 Canons, a clergyman is to be deposed or a layman excommunicated. So being able to just confess not fasting from these is a relaxed ekonomia. :D

Logos

Re: We have it easy in the 21st Century!

Post by Logos »

Nicholas wrote:

In looking into this further, if one does not fast from dairy and eggs during Lent, according to CANON LVI of the 102 Canons, a clergyman is to be deposed or a layman excommunicated. So being able to just confess not fasting from these is a relaxed ekonomia. :D

That is true. But if it was not a relaxed ekonomia who then would be saved?

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Someone once told me if you can get the fasting down the rest comes naturally. I've found that it is easier to pray and focus on the important things when I'm following the fasting rules. Orthodoxy and fasting go hand in hand.

Ekaterina
Protoposter

Post by Ekaterina »

:bump:

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Well, I broke my fast this passed Sunday because I had to go for Easter to my catholic family. I ate eggs and dairy, but no meat. I dread these occasions. I don't enjoy eating these when it is not acceptable by God. But I did take some supplies home for after the Great Lent. :)

Summer barbeques during the fast of St. Peter and Paul or the Dormition of the Theotokos is not a problem. I'll eat fish or shrimp.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Fish during the Great lent

Post by Jean-Serge »

Hello

I always thought fish during Great Lent was allowed only for Annonciation and the Sunday Palms.Some people includes also Lazarus' resurection...

However, asking with a Georgian priest (who is not modernist), I was told this was a monastic rule only that spread to the lay people in the Russian church and that according to the canons (the Nomocanons), we can eat fish during the week... Unfortunately, I do not have a nomocanon in French or English or Spanish and in a book called Pedalion, I found nothing about this.

So I would like the testimony of someone who has access to a nomocanon or a testimony from an Orthodox who is not from a Russian (OCA, ROCOR etc )jurisdiction in order to check this point. I am quite confused about this...

Thank you for your help!!

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I was baptised in the Greek old calendar church and they also follow the rule of no fish during Great Lent except on the Annunciation(if it doesn't fall on Wed. or Fri) and Palm Sunday. They also practice no oil on Wed and Fri. This was taught to me by a Greek priest.

I think that the rule for fasting is pretty clear, as far as no meat and dairy products. I see it as the rule, but of course, there are occasions when I will fall. I think God measures our ability to get back up and continue. There are people that may brag about eating once a day, but they are full of pride, so in their case, the fast does not bare spiritual fruit. They are not fasting with a humble heart.