RTOC: Who are they? What is their history?

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

RTOC: Who are they? What is their history?

Post by Maria »

I have started this thread to explore the Russian True Orthodox Church (RTOC) objectively, so that our guests and inquirers can have an opportunity to learn more about True Orthodoxy in Russia and in other countries. Any inflammatory accusations will be promptly moved over to the Intra-TOC Polemics Private Forum.

Since other True Orthodox jurisdictions will be explored in their own threads, please keep all your discussions in this thread focused only on the RTOC jurisdiction.

Below are some questions. Please feel free to provide links and excerpts from official sites as references.

1. What is the history of the Russian True Orthodox Church (RTOC)?
  2. Who are their former hierarchs and leaders?
  3. Is the RTOC in communion with any other True Orthodox jurisdictions?
  4. When did the RTOC break with the ROCOR?

In a partial answer to #3:
Apparently RTOC is now in communion with the Serbian True Orthodox Church (STOC), who recently broke from the GOC-Kallinikos jurisdiction.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Re: RTOC: Who are they? What is their history?

Post by Priest Siluan »

Maybe this could help:

A SHORT HISTORICAL NOTE ON THE RTOC
http://catacomb.org.ua/modules.php?name ... e&pid=1314

Patriarch Tikhon's Catacomb Church. History of the Russian True Orthodox Church
http://catacomb.org.ua/modules.php?name ... e&pid=1099

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

If my understanding is correct, RTOC consists of ROCOR parishes (formerly FROC, Free Russian Orthodox Church) in Russia that broke from ROCOR after Met Vitaly was (in their view) falsely pushed into retirement in 2001. Their equivalent in the North American parishes was the so-called ROCiE (Russian Orthodox Church in Exile), but I believe this latter group itself broke up. RTOC since then gained a North American presence through Bishop Stefan of Trenton, and a European one through the Lesna monastery.

Priest Siluan

Post by Priest Siluan »

Also RTOC has a important presence in Australia and a very humble one in South America (Argentina and Brazil) :D

PS: Our Archbishop Tikhon was vising us here from June 12 till 18, also was there the Hoy and Wordeworker Icon "Sweet Smelling". I will post some pictures as soon as I can.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

We will be waiting to see the photos of Archbishop Tikhon's visit, thanks Father -

Your parish is itself a strong presence, I am sure, not a miniscule one, at least in terms of faith !
There is a Brazilian parish now, too ?
Whereabouts is that ? Good.

Priest Siluan

Post by Priest Siluan »

Barbara wrote:

It is the Skete of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos, the Rector is Hieromonk Daniel (Fernandes), he left the Agafangel group and was received by Synodal decision in RTOC 1 year ago.

Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Post by Priest Antonios »

Barbara wrote:

It's in the state of São Paulo... and knowing São Paulo it's going to be in the city of São Paulo as well. It'll be down one of the crowded, crazy, not on any map, roads that only a Paulista would be able to find :?

Here is a link to their web site - http://www.cristianismoeortodoxia.blogspot.com

Cheers,
Antonios