ROCOR-A / ROCA: Who are they? What is their history?

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: ROCOR-A / ROCA: Who are they? What is their history?

Post by Barbara »

I remember noting Bishop - or Archbishop? - Anastassy of Vladivostok's name on the ROCiE roster.
Wow, that's NEWS ! Thanks much, Jean-Serge.
Any reason given why Bp Anastassy transferred ?

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

All these statements are very unclear and in no way helpful.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Archimandrit Nilos wrote:

All these statements are very unclear and in no way helpful.

Yes, it is confusing when both the ROCOR-MP and the ROCOR-A want to be recognized as ROCA or simply ROCOR.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is another website

http://www.roca.org/

I cannot tell if it is under Agafangel of the ROCOR-A (ROCA) or the ROCOR-MP.

Note that this is the caption under the picture of St. James Orthodox Church:

St James Orthodox Church
a Russian-American parish under the Holy Metropolis GOC

On that same page, is a link to a known ROCOR-A (ROCA) priest who owns St. John of Kronstadt Press.

Please purchase your liturgical calendar directly from St John of Kronstadt Press

The GOC would be HOTCA under Archbishop Kallinikos, who is a sister church to ROCOR-A (ROCA).

Okay, this seems to be under Met. Agafangel of the ROCOR-A (ROCA).

However, on another page of this website at http://www.roca.org/OA/Copyright.htm
It clearly states:

Incorporating NIKODEMOS
"...Unless a man be born again..."

Published with the blessing of
Archbishop Hilarion
Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

Editor: Mary Mansur
Orthodox Family pages editor: Matushka Deborah Johnson
Contributing Editor: +Rev. Hieromonk Seraphim (Rose)
Business Manager: Katherine Mansur

Published by the Nikodemos Orthodox Publication Society. P.O. Box 383, Richfield Springs, NY 13439-0383. Unsigned articles are the work of the editor.

So, what is going on?

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I was looking up something about the GOC when this link popped up.

Sadly, that very Mitred Archpriest Gregory Williams of Tennessee has reposed on Sept 29, 2016. He is actually well known for both his publishing work, including Orthodox Calendars, and his mission in Haiti. [ Heaven forbid, Hurricane Matthew is forecast to hit that Caribbean island the last I saw. ]

About roca.org, that's an understandable question, Maria. It is very confusing. This site is the online version of Mary Mansur's newspaper Orthodox America. It was a valuable resource. Issues became sporadic and then ceased altogether. I wished that she would continue Orthodox America. However, Mary stayed with Rocor-MP. She was working out of a town nearby Jordanville called Richfield Springs. That's why that address appears.

She put that unusual notation for Fr Seraphim Rose as 'Contributing Editor' though he had already reposed. The Platina hieromonk was the one who requested Mary to do a newspaper in English covering events in Rocor. She followed through and a greatly informative newspaper was the result. I sometimes find links to the online version when looking up a subject. The many spiritual, biographical and historical articles are more comprehensive and edifying than most of what one finds today. There were particularly good essays about the lives of Rocor First Hierarchs, Bishops and clergymen.

One example would be about Brother Jose Munoz : valuable material was gathered to present the best coverage possible at that time. The St John the Baptist Rocor-MP Church in Washington DC, which has nearly an online shrine to Brother Jose including an actual icon, uses Orthodox America's material on the tragedy of Brother Jose.

Even the MP's English website published by Sretensky Monastery's head Bp Tikhon [Shevkunov] occasionally reprints historical articles about Rocor History or similar topics from Orthodox America.

None of this has anything to do with the ROCA /ROCORA under Met Agafangel - except for the reference to the hardworking, sacrificing Mitred Archpriest Gregory Williams, who left Rocor at the time of the Moscow union for the newly formed PSCA under then-Bishop Agafangel. In time, that became ROCA.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Seems to be some infighting in ROCOR-A

http://nftu.net/a-split-to-end-the-spli ... agafangel/

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

HieromonkIrineos wrote:

Seems to be some infighting in ROCOR-A

http://nftu.net/a-split-to-end-the-spli ... agafangel/

Yes, this infighting has been ongoing even before ROCOR-A joined the GOC-K.

The GOC union under Archbishop Kallinikos gave some stability to the ROCOR-A for a time. However, when several priests and bishops under Archbishop Kallinikos were transferred under Met. Agafangel per the agreement to have only one head of all the Russian parishes, these newly transferred clergy discovered problems that had been there all along. Some stayed, while others refused to comply and left the ROCOR-A.

We must pray for those in Russia, especially for the laity who have suffered so much from all these changing allegiances.

Read the New Testament Epistles of St. James, St. Jude, and St. John (3 John 9). All these Holy Saints talk about ungodly dissension in the Holy Orthodox Church. Even Christ reminded us that there would be wolves in sheep's clothing that would tear the Church apart if this were possible. However, the Church will survive as Christ promised because the Church is comprised of the Church Triumph (the Saints in Heaven who are the Witnesses that surround us during the Divine Liturgy) and the Church Militant (those of the struggling faithful on earth).