ROCOR-V / ROCA: Who are they? What is their history?

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

nathanv
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: fan of ROCA under Metr. Agafangel

Post by nathanv »

Bishop Ambrose of Denver is listed as a bishop under Bishop Vladimir of ROCIE.

I just noticed that there is a "Bishop Ambrose of Denver, Vicar to the Western American Diocese" with an associated "Church of the Optina Elders" listed on the website of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad under Archbishop Vladimir. This is not the Archbishop Ambrose who was briefly with Archbishop Gregory, but is instead a newly ordained bishop and was formerly a hieromonk.

Does anyone know the history of this church? I assume that it sees itself as the continuance of ROCOR and emerged during the period 2000-2007. Archbishop Gregory (who I think of as "Fr. Gregory") has put out a video denouncing it: How does this church differ from the one headed by Metr. Anthony (Orlov)?

Edit: Ok, I think I understand the situation, explained at: http://orthodoxwiki.org/Russian_Orthodo ... h_in_Exile.

After Metr. Vitaly was forceably retired in 2001, he moved to Mansonville, Canada, where he was joined by Bishop Varnava, and formed the Russian Orthodox Church in Exile (ROCIE). They ordained several bishops, including Vladimir (Tselischev). After Metr. Vitaly died, the ROCIE split into several groups, of which this is one.

But does anyone know the situation with the church lead by Metr. Anthony?

nathanv
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: fan of ROCA under Metr. Agafangel

Re: ROCOR-V / ROCA: Who are they? What is their history?

Post by nathanv »

Re: Bishop Ambrose of Denver

I think I have this figured out.

Metr. Vitaly was buried on Sept. 28, 2006 (N.S.). The Synod of ROCOR-V was split between bishops supporting Archbishop Anthony and those supporting Bishop Vladimir. The tradition was that the oldest bishop would be the successor. Archbishop Anthony (Nikita Orlov) was born in 1932 in Shanghai and knew St. John (Maximovitch) in China. Bishop Vladimir (Tselishchev) was born in Kalingrad, Soviet Union in 1966 to a family of catacomb Christians ("Josephites"). Vladimir was consecrated bishop of Sacramento on November 6, 2001. Anthony (Orlov) was not consecrated until 2002. So Anthony was older, but Vladimir had been a bishop longer.

Today, Anthony is styled the "Metropolitan of Moscow and all the Russias, Los Angeles and Diaspora", and he lives in Glendora, CA. His church is called "The Russian Orthodox Church" ("Российская Православная Церковь") and is abbreviated "RosPC". His website is at http://www.rospc.org/ (also http://www.rusoc.org), and his Youtube channel is at http://www.youtube.com/user/rospcorg. His videos are updated about once a week.

Vladimir is "Archbishop of San Francisco and Western America" of the "Russian Orthodox Church Abroad" ("Русская Православная Церковь Заграницей"), abbreviated "ROCA" and he lives in Moss Beach, CA. His website is at: http://www.roca-sobor.org/eng/.

I think the difference between "Rossiiskaya” and “Russkaya" is that the first refers to nationality and language, and the second refers to the country.

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by Priest Siluan »

nathanv wrote:

I think the difference between "Rossiiskaya” and “Russkaya" is that the first refers to nationality and language, and the second refers to the country.

No, it is the other way around...

As for ROCOR-V and its splinters, it is better to forget about them... They are not serious.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I was myself wondering what was going on with RociE, no : ROCiE.

They did do some good things, and the famous Vladimir Convent from Chine and
later emmigrated to the U.S. opted for them, and is still there.

I looked at that address list and was surprised they have so many parishes overseas.

But NathanV, the Moss Beach property was sold - a couple years ago, or maybe last year -
so no one lives there now.

I was trying to learn what was going on there, because people, even ROCOR-MP members,
did make secret visits there to consult the priest or nuns about their personal lives.

They left, though, for somewhere north in California.

I wonder if they are not updating the site for security reasons, or just neglect ?

I wonder what they are doing on their new property, and where then Abp Vladimir would live. Maybe there.
I noticed HE is listed as in charge of virtually all the parishes of his jurisdiction. That seems unusual - or
maybe there's a reason for needing his close supervision?

Good detective work, Nathan. I appreciated that because it is good to refresh memory on some of these
who have no members posting here at E.Cafe.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Barbara wrote:

Good detective work, Nathan. I appreciated that because it is good to refresh memory on some of these
who have no members posting here at E.Cafe.

Yes, thank you, Nathan. In all my distractions I had forgotten about the poor old beleaguered sisters and mothers at the Moss Beach convent (now moved somewhere else). I, too, wonder what has become of them, and how they are faring.

сынок

Post by сынок »

In my opinion, I feel the real ROCA is the Vitaly group now under Bishop Vladimir. Meet the team; http://roca-sobor.org

+++++

Your post has been abridged to reduce the polemics.
Please do not post polemical material in the public forums.

Below is the link to your unedited polemical thread, which has been moved into Intra-TOC Polemics:
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... 30&t=11367

In Christ,
Maria
Admin

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I did look now at your link. I see that the Abbess is Isihia and Archbishop Vladimir has updated his address to the new location of the Convent. I haven't seen any news of the Vladimir Convent though. Have you searched back in the Roca-Sobor archives ?
We don't have anyone from Rocor-V / formerly ROCiE here to fill us in.