Synod of the Patristic Calendar of the Church of Hellas (GOC-A)

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: Synod of the Patristic Calendar of the Church of Hellas (GOC-A)

Post by Justice »

Thank you for answering all of my questions and concerns I know your probably very busy so again, thank you.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Justice wrote:

Thank God! like I said Orthodox churches seem to be forgetting this tradition, even the GOC-K, and the cathedral of st Markella has mixed seating and pews.

We try to maintain it as best we can. No pews, just some seating against the walls for those in need of it.

NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Re: History of the GOC-A

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

HieromonkIrineos wrote:
Justice wrote:
HieromonkIrineos wrote:

This is my synod. I am happy to tell you what I know.

Is the GOC-A a Mathewitte or Florinite group?

Florinite

Why then are you not in communion with/part of GOC-K (I think that's the abbreviation) under Metropolitan Demetrios? Seems odd to be part of a different Synod if you believe the same things.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

NotChrysostomYet wrote:
HieromonkIrineos wrote:
Justice wrote:

Florinite

Why then are you not in communion with/part of GOC-K (I think that's the abbreviation) under Metropolitan Demetrios? Seems odd to be part of a different Synod if you believe the same things.

Recently the GOC-K joined another group of old calendarists called "The Holy synod in Resistance" (headed by then Metropolitan Cyprian) who had the believe that the New calendar ecumenists and the rest of World Orthodoxy still had grace. Obviously, this was unacceptable to the rest of the Traditional Orthodox until the GOC-K started having numerous dialogues with other Traditional synods from 2012-2014. In 2014, the GOC-K united with the Cyprianites and produced a document on their website that stated the Cyprinites had denounced all of their heretical beliefs. Though, if you go to the Diocese of Etna and Portland website on the HOTCA website, Bishop Auxentios a former Cyprianite, defends Cyprianism and silences anyone who's opposed to it. As for union before the Cyprinite union I don't know.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

NotChrysostomYet wrote:
HieromonkIrineos wrote:
Justice wrote:

Florinite

Hello NCY,

First, welcome to the E-Cafe. I am not sure how much you know about Old Calendarist groups and their history. Florinite as I commonly use it denotes the source of apostolic succession more so than any theological position. Indeed, if one were to try to parse of the theology of Mathewites versus Florinites, I think the differences would really be more about ecclesiology than theology (and yes, there is some overlap there). But the World Orthodox patriarchs of Jerusalem and Antioch has gone out of communion over matters of ecclesiology as well, so this is not a GOC specific trait.

The history of the various GOC groups, of all derivations, is one of persecution by the state church. The result is a weakened, disjointed assemblage of bishops separated by matters of administration, personality, and to some extent theology. Things are getting better, slowly, and there are union talks, often informal in nature, on a regular basis. These things will resolve in God's time, not mine. The separation of the GOC bishops is lamentable, and definitely impacts their witness to the faithful. We must pray for the unity of the faith. I know many fine GOC-K priests, some of whom I consider mentors, and would welcome the day we can concelebrate, should the bishops decide this is meet and right. But as Justice mentioned above, there a issues resulting from the last union to be resolved.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Also the GOC-A is in communion with Metropolitan Rafail of Moscow. I don't believe the GOC-A has ever been in dialogue with Metropolitan John's synod.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

The GOC-A was created by the late Bishop Anghelos of Avlona who left GOC-Makarios. Why did he leave GOC-Makarios? Was it an official justification of this?

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.