Met. Anthony of NY reposed on the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Met. Anthony of NY reposed on the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Post by Barbara »

Oh terrible to hear !
But I appreciate that insight. I didn't have any clue about St Nektarios of Aegina's probably excruciating repose.
Sad !

So would you think the chronic exhaustion was from the expanding illness ? That is what I am attempting to ascertain.
Or - the chronic exhaustion was a condition which was present long before the development of the illness ?
Just trying to understand a little better.

Surely that is noble that both of them plus many others bore so much of a physical burden, probably without complaint. A very difficult feat, needless to say.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Oh terrible to hear !
But I appreciate that insight. I didn't have any clue about St Nektarios of Aegina's probably excruciating repose.
Sad !

So would you think the chronic exhaustion was from the expanding illness ? That is what I am attempting to ascertain.
Or - the chronic exhaustion was a condition which was present long before the development of the illness ?
Just trying to understand a little better.

Surely that is noble that both of them plus many others bore so much of a physical burden, probably without complaint. A very difficult feat, needless to say.

The signs of cancer are exhaustion, various bodily pain and headaches, cold sweats, swollen lymph nodes, chronic inflammation, and weakened immune system, so that a person often comes down with flu, colds, and even pneumonia. Some doctors have even called heart and vascular disease a form of cancer as it is also inflammation of the arteries and veins. As cancer progresses and spreads, a person becomes chronically ill and weaker.

My brother-in-law knew that he had cancer but choose to ignore the symptoms of swollen lymph nodes and a tumor that was growing in his neck and throat to the extent that he could feel it. He fainted in the drug store and was rushed to the hospital where it was determined that he already had stage four cancer, and that nothing could be done for him except pallative care, especially drugs to ease the pain. He was sent home to die, and later moved into hospice when his situation became dire just before he died.

Both St. Nectarios and Met. Anthony of New York knew that they were dying. Both men of God prepared by repentance and encouraged others to repent.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh. I see now why the frequent colds and pneumonia were mentioned among Metropolitan Anthony's symptoms.
I didn't understand why those would be of any significance. Now I do.

Really ? I had no idea what the warning signs of cance were. What would chronic inflammation show up as ?

Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law.
It's educational for me, though. I barely knew anything about any of these illnesses. Now I am learning that "stage 4" must indicate very close to the end of life ?

Sad that Met. Anthony - and St Nektarios - had to endure all that misery.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is a picture from the funeral service of Met. Anthony of New York

The hierarch and priests in the center of the picture are as follows:

Archbishop Stephanos of Athens and All Greece is standing to the left.
Standing next to him at the microphone is the Right Reverend
Archpriest Father Stephen Fraser who is wearing white vestments.
Deacon George and Fr. Ananias stand to the right of Father Stephen

Attachments
Funeral Service of Met. Anthony of New York, March 25, 2016.jpg
Funeral Service of Met. Anthony of New York, March 25, 2016.jpg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 2211 times

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Oh. I see now why the frequent colds and pneumonia were mentioned among Metropolitan Anthony's symptoms.
I didn't understand why those would be of any significance. Now I do.

Really ? I had no idea what the warning signs of cance were. What would chronic inflammation show up as ?

Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law.
It's educational for me, though. I barely knew anything about any of these illnesses. Now I am learning that "stage 4" must indicate very close to the end of life ?

Sad that Met. Anthony - and St Nektarios - had to endure all that misery.

On the contrary, they welcomed the pain as a way of preparing to meet Christ.
We ask the Lord to spare us from a sudden death where there is no time to repent.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is the obituary of Met. Anthony's father who died in 2004 at the age of 94.

Retired Businessman AUGUSTA, Ga.- Mr. Basil Anthony Gavalas, 94, husband of Mrs. Catherine C. Gavalas, entered into rest on Thursday, June 24, 2004 at University Hospital. Funeral services will be held at Elliott Sons Funeral Home, Telfair Street Chapel, on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 10:30 a.m. Burial will follow Magnolia Cemetery. Mr. Gavalas was born in 1910 in Kalymnos, Greece and immigrated to the United States in 1929. He met and married Catherine Calomiros of Atlanta, Ga. in 1940 and made Augusta their home. Mr. Gavalas was owner and proprietor of Georgia Hatters and Cleaners for 40 years. He was a member of Holy Greek Orthodox Church where he served as the Church Council President for several years and was instrumental in initiating the building of the Hellenic Center and opening of the Greek Community Recreational Center at Clarks Hill. In addition to his duties as president of the Parish Council, he served as cantor for many years. In 1972, Mr. Gavalas founded Holy Archangels Chapel which is under the jurisdiction of the Genuine Orthodox Christian Church of Greece (Old Calendar). In addition to his wife of 63 years, Mr. Gavalas is survived by his children, Father Anthony Basil Gavalas and wife, Theodora L. Gavalas, Caliope Victoria Correa and husband, Joaquin Louis 'Lou' Correa, Michael Basil 'Mike' Gavalas and wife, Paige H. Gavalas, Nicholas Basil Gavalas, John Basil Gavalas and wife, Susan Gavalas; grandchildren, Catherine G. Tsouristakis and spouse, Alexander, Joanna G. Giovanelli and spouse, Steven, Miriam A. Gavalas and Basil A. Gavalas, all of New York City, Alexandra M. Gavalas, Catherine R. Gavalas and David N. Gavalas, all of Mt. Pleasant, S.C., Basil M. Gavalas, Angela G. Fields and spouse, Robert and Michael L. Gavalas, all of Augusta, great-grandchildren, Anthony A. Tsouristakis, Elizabeth C. Tsouristakis, Nicholas T. Giovanelli, Robert Fields and Sasha B. Fields. Pallbearers for the funeral will be Basil Anthony Gavalas, Basil Michael Gavalas, Manuel Chaknis, Joseph L. Gavalas, David Nicholas Gavalas and Alan L. Nance. Mr. Gavalas will always be remembered and cherished by the Augusta Community, may his memory be eternal. In lieu of flowers, memorials to his memory may be made to Holy Protection Greek Orthodox Church, 26-37 12th St., Astoria, N.Y. 11102-3723. ...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/august ... id=2360879

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is a youtube of one of Met. Anthony's sermons: