Bp Stefan cuts communion with RTOC Synod

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Barbara
Protoposter

Bp Stefan cuts communion with RTOC Synod

Post by Barbara »

After reading this second sentence, I searched for the source of this news.
There appears to be nothing new on the rocor-trenton site, in either English or Russian languages.
However, I am posting it as it is a major development. And an unusual one in the TOC world.

"In November 2015 another RTOC ruling bishop, Bishop Stephen of Trenton and North America, assumed administrative independence. Several days ago he announced his complete break of communion with Archbishop Tikhon, the RTOC primate."

http://www.portal-credo.ru/site/?act=news&id=119278

Hopefully updates will make this momentous announcement clearer as well as provide details.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Bp Stefan cuts communion with RTOC Synod

Post by Maria »

From the link in Barbara's post: http://www.portal-credo.ru/site/?act=news&id=119278

...The confessional document in question outlines the RTOC Synod’s position with regard to the presence of grace in the Moscow Patriarchate and other Churches of “World Orthodoxy,” to ecumenism, and to Cyprianism, offering a critical assessment of the “historical legacy of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.” Some RTOC clergy, who are guided by the “traditional position of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad,” have attributed this “harsh” confession of faith to the American Protopresbyter Victor Melehov, secretary of the Synod, who separated from the Russian Church Abroad in 1986.

Was Father Victor Melehov with Holy Transfiguration Monastery (Boston) in 1986? Remember that in 1986, HTM separated from ROCOR when ROCOR demanded that HTM"s Elder Panteleimon be tried at a spiritual court over charges of sexual impropriety. After affliating with Auxentios of Greece, HTM became known as HOCNA.

Thus, only two signatures by representatives of the RTOC episcopate remain on this document, one of which is that of a vicar bishop (Bishop Savvaty of Vinnytsia) who does not have the right to be a member of the Synod.

Another RTOC hierarch, Bishop Germogen of Chernigov and Gomel, was removed from the ranks of the Synod in 2012 when it became widely known that he, while already a bishop, had baptized himself by triple immersion in order to “replenish the service of baptism.” He announced this action during the joint meeting of the Synods of the Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece (the “Chrysostomites”) and of the Russian True Orthodox Church in October 2009.

This sounds like RTOC is having some serious problems. A bishop baptizing himself?

In November 2015 another RTOC ruling bishop, Bishop Stephen of Trenton and North America, assumed administrative independence. Several days ago he announced his complete break of communion with Archbishop Tikhon, the RTOC primate.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by Priest Siluan »

Dear in Christ,

I will not talk a lot of. I just will say it is not true. Bp. Stefan IS in communion with the RTOC. Also, please, do not believe in everything that well known misinforming site writes.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Priest Siluan wrote:

Dear in Christ,

I will not talk a lot of. I just will say it is not true. Bp. Stefan IS in communion with the RTOC. Also, please, do not believe in everything that well known misinforming site writes.

Thank you, Father Siluan. Yes, indeed, the above linked website or blog has published a lot of misrepresentations, if not down right lies, like a bishop baptising himself? Who ever heard of such nonsense? Thank you for your sober warning.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I thought that was indeed very strange ; I just had forgotten to mention that self-baptism as cited here.

Maybe Fr Siluan could let us know more about why that story could have arisen.

Meanwhile, I am glad that Bp Stefan has not cut ties with RTOC. Portal-credo should have cited a source for that information so we can check it ourselves. Thank you, Father Siluan, for letting us know !

I think members who are interested still should keep an eye on this situation. There may be some developments which are documented better than these 2 claims.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

I thought that was indeed very strange ; I just had forgotten to mention that self-baptism as cited here.

Maybe Fr Siluan could let us know more about why that story could have arisen.

Meanwhile, I am glad that Bp Stefan has not cut ties with RTOC. Portal-credo should have cited a source for that information so we can check it ourselves. Thank you, Father Siluan, for letting us know !

I think members who are interested still should keep an eye on this situation. There may be some developments which are documented better than these 2 claims.

This is why it is important not to rely on one source, especially if that source is a blog.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

True.

Portal-credo could be a good source of unique news, but they need to improve their reporting skills over there !
If they would be thorough in citing sources, readers could better evaluate the information.