40th Anniversary of Archbishop Averky's repose

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Barbara
Protoposter

40th Anniversary of Archbishop Averky's repose

Post by Barbara »

This date is coming up on April 13, 2016 for any who wish to observe the 40th anniversary of Rocor's Archbishop Averky [Taushev ], a well-respected professor at Jordanville.

Archbishop Averky is notable for having stood up for St John Maximovitch during the difficult era of the unbelievably malicious court case against the Saint. [It seems, by the way, that Rocor-MP is now writing the latter's name "Maximovich". I wonder why the change ? ]

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: 40th Anniversary of Archbishop Averky's repose

Post by Maria »

I have moved this thread into Traditional Orthodoxy as it deals with Archbishop Averky who died in 1976 well before the ROCOR joined the MP.

Not all the ROCOR-pre MP hierarchs, clergy and faithful were Traditionalists, so one needs to be careful. Note that the infamous Archbishop Anthony of Geneva was a notorious ecumenist who convinced many in the ROCOR to join the MP, so he can neither be considered as a Traditionalist nor as a True Orthodox Christian.

Maria
Admin

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: 40th Anniversary of Archbishop Averky's repose

Post by Barbara »

Thanks for moving it to the appropriate place. I wanted to put it here originally, but feared I would be making a mistake. Now I know better how to gauge where to put which subject related to Rocor [ versus the latest edition, which is unfortunately under the control of Moscow. ]