Met. Cyprian's trip to Cyprus in Nov. 2015

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Met. Cyprian's trip to Cyprus in Nov. 2015

Post by Maria »

http://www.hsir.org/pdfs/2015/12/14/E20 ... 1-2015.pdf

On November 14-17, 2015 (Old Style), Met. Cyprian of the GOC-K traveled to Cyprus to witness the consecration of Father Epiphanios of the GOC.

[pages 1-2]... This year, I would have the special pleasure of meeting even more of the Hierarchs
in their [GOC under Stephanos) Holy Synod, of coming into closer contact with our
Brothers, of praying and rejoicing with them at the elevation to the Episcopacy of the virtuous
and blessed Father Epiphanios, and, finally, of helping—with the aid of the Theotokos
—to facilitate the desired union and Eucharistic communion between our two Synods.

[pages 7-8]...Shortly after 10 a.m., Metropolitan Sebastianos prefaced the Consecration with a very
important—one might say historic—sermon, which lasted fifteen minutes.

The main points of the sermon were as follows: The Autonomous Church of Cyprus is being
renewed. The Hierarchy of the Church of Cyprus is composed of Metropolitans Sebastianos
of Kition, Lazarus of Amathous, and Epiphanios of Trimythous. The Church of Cyprus is in
Eucharistic communion with the sister Church of Greece under His Beatitude, Archbishop
Stephanos. This is the first Consecration in Cyprus of a Cypriot Hierarch since 1924.

Two Consecrations took place previously, but they were in Greece: the first being that of
(†) Spyridon of Trimythous and the second that of (†) Epiphanios of Kition. He then addressed
moral and spiritual exhortations to the Bishop-elect, reminding him of the Apostolic admonition
to St. Timothy: “Take heed unto thyself...” There followed a sermon delivered by the Bishop
elect, who was extremely moved. It was a wonderful homily, replete with spiritual messages
and a monastic spirit, in which he regarded the Episcopacy as a service. ...

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Re: Met. Cyprian's trip to Cyprus in Nov. 2015

Post by Maria »

This paper only expresses the wishes and sentiments of Met. Cyprian, who remains a hierarch under Archbishop Kallinikos.

Yes, the GOC treated Met. Cyprian and his guests with hospitality, but Christians are to show hospitality. This is what Christ has called us to do: to love one another as Christ has first loved us.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

If you wish to discuss this topic more in detail, there is a private discussion thread in Intra-TOC Polemics.

http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... 30&t=11760

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Below is Met. Anthony's last Episcopal Letter dated 26 December 2015 concerning the Consecration on Cyprus in November of 2015.

Met. Anthony had been suffering from pancreatic cancer and fell asleep in the Lord on the Sunday of Orthodoxy, March 20, 2016.

Hellenic Orthodox Metropolis of New York
Astoria, NY 11102-3723

United States of America
26-37 12 th Street
718-626-7719

13/26 December 2015

To the Presbytery of the United States,

Allow me first to greet you with love in Christ Jesus. I pray that the fast preceding the Nativity our Lord and
Savior Jesus Christ has been of great profit to your souls and those whom we serve.

On 16/29 November 2015, Bishop Epiphanios was consecrated to the Episcopacy for the see of Trymithous, the
seat of St. Spyridon in Northern Cyprus for the Church of Cyprus. I was invited to attend and participate in this great
sacrament of the church. It has come to my attention that there are certain matters being discussed among those who were
not in attendance. Permit me to bear witness.

All those who attended were treated with respect and courtesy as befits the most ancient laws of hospitality and in
accordance with the traditions set down by Metropolitan Epiphanios of blessed memory’ in the very cathedral that he
himself founded.

To my knowledge, the True Orthodox Church of Greece is not in discussions with any other church for
unification. The True Orthodox Church of Greece is diligently working to build the Faith of Christ and to serve the
people of the Hellenic Republic, who are currently suffering under the most extreme conditions they have faced, arguably,
since the time of the Second World War.

Regarding our labors here in the United States I may say that we are working to build the Faith of Christ Jesus our
Lord in the Traditional customs of the Fathers throughout the nation. To that end I feel obliged to address a further matter.

The internet is one of the most significant forces we have yet encountered. While it can allow us to learn a great
deal about global events in a short period of time, like all tools it can be grossly manipulated to serve irresponsible and
dangerous ends. I am asking that you caution people to be careful of what they write and, more importantly, what they
read. I was taught that if you don’t want to see what you have written posted on a fifty foot billboard for all the world to
comment, it’s best not to write it. Furthermore, the dissemination of information that has been misinterpreted and
maligned to fit a narrative was all too common before this so called digital age and, it seems to me, has become even more
commonplace today. A number of sources that are considered newsworthy are no more than gossip mongers, and we
strongly advise all to confirm stories before they are spread as facts.

I beg of you to continue to pray for me, the servant of the servants of God,

+Anthony

Metropolitan of New York

Bishop of the United States

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thank you for posting the well-written explanation by the newly reposed Met Anthony [Gavalas] of Astoria.

That firmly sets to rest all those rumors circulating about any impending merger of jurisdictions involving the GOC-Stephanos.

Apparently, simple hospitality was inflated into imaginary schemes being hatched.