Avlona Synod deposes Bishop Seraphim Karam

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Avlona Synod deposes Bishop Seraphim Karam

Post by Maria »

In this consecration picture on July 17, 2016, Bishop Seraphim (Karam) is front center.

Father Sozomenos is standing behind him at the altar with his very dark bushy almost black beard.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thanks, Father and Maria, for the added information.
Lebanon : that sounds just like the name's derivation. Good to know there are True Orthodox there !

I appreciate the photo very much. Would you know which hierarch that is on the far left front ?
And where the location is of the consecration ?

Thanks for identifying Bishop Seraphim and Fr Sozomenos. I have never seen a picture of the latter. It helps to put the name with the face, as the expression goes.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Thanks, Father and Maria, for the added information.
Lebanon : that sounds just like the name's derivation. Good to know there are True Orthodox there !

I appreciate the photo very much. Would you know which hierarch that is on the far left front ?
And where the location is of the consecration ?

Thanks for identifying Bishop Seraphim and Fr Sozomenos. I have never seen a picture of the latter. It helps to put the name with the face, as the expression goes.

The leader of the Kyrikites, Kirikos Kontogiannis, is pictured at the bottom left on this photo.

Attachments
Bishop Seraphim consecration of July 17, 2016 by Kyrikos.jpg
Bishop Seraphim consecration of July 17, 2016 by Kyrikos.jpg (101.83 KiB) Viewed 2801 times

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Bishop Serapim explains why he left here:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/9060ee_7f65e85 ... 1c2b3b.pdf

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

That's quite a story and completely foreign to my experience.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Well at least we are able to read Bishop Seraphim's side. It was professionally written, down to the signatures in elegant script. We now see that Hieromonk Nektarios [Maalouf] has joined him in departing the Avlona Synod. Maybe there will be more photos sometime down the line in which this Hieromonk appears, just so we know who he is now.

I like that title of Bishop Seraphim "Met of Mt Lebanon and Exarch of all Phoenicia", the name for the land which is today Lebanon. This area of the Eastern Mediterranean, termed "the Levant" by 19th century Europeans, has been the seat of many very advanced cultures since the most ancient times.

I noticed several connections to Russian Feast Days. Bp Seraphim [Karam] resigned on St John Maximovitch's 50th Anniversary this year, was consecrated on the Sunday of the Royal Martyrs Feast, and wrote this on the day of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God.

I wonder whether St Xenia Cathedral in Limassol is dedicated to the early martyr or to Blessed Xenia of St Petersburg ?

What do you have to say, Fr Irineos ? That is, if you feel like making a rebuttal. You may want to let it go.
If you want to respond, then we'll see you in the Intra-TOC Forum !

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thanks, Maria. I figured that must be Met Kyrikos. But wanted to be sure.