Fix the Notification Feature

News and updates pertaining to the Cafe itself, including policies and helpful information. This is also the place for users to pose technical questions or seek assistance in navigating the forum. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussion. No name-calling.

Matthew
Protoposter

Fix the Notification Feature

Post by Matthew »

This forum is greatly hindered by the fact that the thread response notification does not work anymore. Responses get buried and digging through threads trying to figure out if there was any response to a thread I contributed to pushes visitors or members to give up and stop posting or responding. This is urgently in need or repair. I remember when this feature worked properly and the forum was very productive and drew much interest and interaction but now it is greatly quenched.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Fix the Notification Feature

Post by Maria »

While email notifications do not work, Notifications (top right bar) does work.
However, I have noticed that New Threads do not show in Notifications since we can only receive notices of replies.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Anastasios, our CEO and webmaster, has confirmed earlier that the email server has problems.
It will take a lot of his time to fix it. This is why we do not receive emails when replies are posted.

In the meantime, please go to QUICK LINKS on the top left of the light blue bar, and click New Posts:
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/se ... d=newposts

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

It is not only email notification that has failed. I only get notifications in the top right corner if I have been quoted by someone. Otherwise I am not told that someone has posted anything after I have in a given thread. I miss a lot that way. I have given up looking anymore.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Matthew wrote:

It is not only email notification that has failed. I only get notifications in the top right corner if I have been quoted by someone. Otherwise I am not told that someone has posted anything after I have in a given thread. I miss a lot that way. I have given up looking anymore.

That is why I depend on the Quick Links / New Posts
I rarely miss any new threads or posts. Then I scroll down the Board Index and if there is any new thread, it will show as a red circle.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Oh, I didn't know about that...all the years I have been on here and I never noticed that. Maybe you can have a big notice on the Forum index page alerting every visitor to that link. That will solve the problem. Can the link to New Posts be expanded from only a handful of posts to listing, say, 40 posts?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Matthew wrote:

Oh, I didn't know about that...all the years I have been on here and I never noticed that. Maybe you can have a big notice on the Forum index page alerting every visitor to that link. That will solve the problem. Can the link to New Posts be expanded from only a handful of posts to listing, say, 40 posts?

Therein lies the problem. If you see that there are ten new posts, but you have not looked at all of them, and you subsequently log out, then all those newly listed posts will disappear upon logging in for a second time.

The secret is: do not log out until you have read all the new threads and posts.

My husband, xenondrum here, rarely logs in as he is rarely on the computer. If there is an interesting post or thread, he will sit down and read it while I am still logged in.

Then if he wants to respond, he will log me out and then log himself in. However, whenever he logs in, there will be at least 200 new posts, so the original post to which he wanted to respond is lost in the mountain of new posts. Therefore, he will ask me for help in finding that original post.