Before the great schism was the Patriarch of Rome called Pope?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Before the great schism was the Patriarch of Rome called Pope?

Post by Justice »

I've been reading about the four Patriarchs and I was wondering whether or not the patriarch of Rome was referred to as Pope during union or after the schism.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Before the great schism was the Patriarch of Rome called Pope?

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

I've been reading about the four Patriarchs and I was wondering whether or not the patriarch of Rome was referred to as Pope during union or after the schism.

The term "Pope" has been used to refer to the ruling bishop of both the See of Rome and the See of Alexandria.

It means "Father" or "Papa".

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

sedevacantist
Jurisdiction: Traditional Catholic

Post by sedevacantist »

I would like to read about the see of Alexandria and the term pope associated with that bishop. The term pope was used before schism

d9popov

Post by d9popov »

sedevacantist wrote:

I would like to read about the see of Alexandria and the term pope associated with that bishop. The term pope was used before schism

To quote Wikipedia, for what it is worth:

The appellation of pope has been attributed to the Bishop of Alexandria since the episcopate of Heraclas, the thirteenth Bishop of Alexandria. All the clergy of Alexandria and Lower Egypt honored him with the appellation papas, which means father, as the senior and elder bishop among all bishops, within the Egyptian province, who are under his jurisdiction, three centuries before it was assumed by Pope John I Bishop of Rome (523–526), who ratified the Alexandrian computation of the date of Easter. Bestowing the title on Rome's pontiff did not strip it from Alexandria's, and the Roman Catholic Church recognizes this ecclesiastical fact.

Since Alexandria was the capital of the province, the preaching center and the place of martyrdom of Saint Mark the Evangelist and Holy Apostle, the title “Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of all Africa on the Holy Throne of Saint Mark the Evangelist and Holy Apostle". also known as “Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and all Africa” in short, was that of the Bishop of Alexandria.

The appellation of pope became recognized as a title, but this did not mean that it represented a title different or higher than the title of patriarch. Only the Patriarch of Alexandria, however, has the double title of Pope and Patriarch among the Oriental Orthodox and the Eastern Orthodox thrones.

Pope (Latin: papa, Greek: παπάς, papas) Papa has been the specific designation for the Archbishop of Alexandria, Patriarch of Egypt, and the See of Saint Mark, whose ecclessiastic title is, Papa Abba, the Abba stands for the devotion of all monastics, from Pentapolis in the West to Constantinople in the East, to his guidance.

sedevacantist
Jurisdiction: Traditional Catholic

Post by sedevacantist »

d9popov wrote:
sedevacantist wrote:

To quote Wikipedia, for what it is worth:

The appellation of pope has been attributed to the Bishop of Alexandria since the episcopate of Heraclas, the thirteenth Bishop of Alexandria. All the clergy of Alexandria and Lower Egypt honored him with the appellation papas, which means father, as the senior and elder bishop among all bishops, within the Egyptian province, who are under his jurisdiction, three centuries before it was assumed by Pope John I Bishop of Rome (523–526), who ratified the Alexandrian computation of the date of Easter. Bestowing the title on Rome's pontiff did not strip it from Alexandria's, and the Roman Catholic Church recognizes this ecclesiastical fact.

Since Alexandria was the capital of the province, the preaching center and the place of martyrdom of Saint Mark the Evangelist and Holy Apostle, the title “Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of all Africa on the Holy Throne of Saint Mark the Evangelist and Holy Apostle". also known as “Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and all Africa” in short, was that of the Bishop of Alexandria.

The appellation of pope became recognized as a title, but this did not mean that it represented a title different or higher than the title of patriarch. Only the Patriarch of Alexandria, however, has the double title of Pope and Patriarch among the Oriental Orthodox and the Eastern Orthodox thrones.

Pope (Latin: papa, Greek: παπάς, papas) Papa has been the specific designation for the Archbishop of Alexandria, Patriarch of Egypt, and the See of Saint Mark, whose ecclessiastic title is, Papa Abba, the Abba stands for the devotion of all monastics, from Pentapolis in the West to Constantinople in the East, to his guidance.

thanks, do you take this to mean the see of Alexandria was just as important as the se of Rome?

d9popov

Post by d9popov »

Yes, the see of Alexandria was comparable in importance to the see of Rome. The Eastern Christians were probably much more numerous than the Western Christians, and Alexandria was the most influential see in the East before the rise of Constantinople.