Old Believers and Old Calendarists

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Old Believers and Old Calendarists

Post by Maria »

Bishop_Irineos wrote:
Maria wrote:

From whom is this quote? We need context like the years of Met. Philaret reign as several have borne his name.

I was hoping that on this day, Pascha, we would only have posts dealing with Christ's Holy Resurrection.

Amen! Christ is Risen!

This is the day of resurrection! Let us be illumined by the Feast!

Let us embrace each other! Let us call ‘brothers’ even those that hate us, and forgive all by the resurrection!

Your Grace,

Indeed Christ is Risen. Let us glorify His Holy Resurrection.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:

It took me a while to appreciate Orthodox Christianity and to accept its traditions and praxis without question.

when one realizes the Muslim influence on the East, then one might recoil at the imposition of the Muslim long black dress (ryassa) and fez (klobouk) now worn by monastics of the East.

When was the ryassa changed? What did it look like before?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:
Maria wrote:

It took me a while to appreciate Orthodox Christianity and to accept its traditions and praxis without question.

when one realizes the Muslim influence on the East, then one might recoil at the imposition of the Muslim long black dress (ryassa) and fez (klobouk) now worn by monastics of the East.

When was the ryassa changed? What did it look like before?

If I am not mistaken, Christians before advent of Mohammed used to wear tunics much like Christ wore. Our Lady the Theotokos wore long robes and a double veil as did the Jewish and Christian women of that time. There was an inner hair covering and then the long veil which was attached to the inner veil. However, with the conquest of Islam, the Christians were forced to wear black robes and veils much as they do today on certain Filipino islands.

We know that the early Christian clergy wore vestments because in the Acts of the Apostles, St. Peter prayed when an elderly woman died and she was resurrected. The women showed St. Peter the beautiful vestments that this woman had made.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

olgakaravanos
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Post by olgakaravanos »

The picture above who are they? The ones that are wearing the klobou.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I am glad you brought up this thread, Olga. I was planning to return to it, as it is full of fascinating comments.

Which picture did you refer to, one pages ago with the Old Believers ?

Looking back at the previous page, I am glad to hear that Metropolitan Philaret [Drozdov] of Moscow was harsh on the Old Believers. He should have been. Their attitude has always been ridiculous. Only contrary just to be contrary, in my own little estimation.