Were Cardinals part of the early church?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Were Cardinals part of the early church?

Post by Justice »

I can't find any information on early church cardinals from Rome, can anybody answer this?

d9popov

Re: Were Cardinals part of the early church?

Post by d9popov »

Justice wrote:

I can't find any information on early church cardinals from Rome, can anybody answer this?

There is some historical information at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_o ... ls#History

A "cardinal" in the ancient Roman Church meant a deacon or priest in Rome who participates in the election of the next bishop of Rome. Later in history, cardinals are mostly bishops outside Rome who are given some Roman title and given the right to elect the next pope. The newer practice is a departure from ancient canonical practice. If fact, almost everything in the post-schism Roman system has been changed to some degree.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: Were Cardinals part of the early church?

Post by Justice »

d9popov wrote:
Justice wrote:

There is some historical information at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_o ... ls#History

A "cardinal" in the ancient Roman Church meant a deacon or priest in Rome who participates in the election of the next bishop of Rome. Later in history, cardinals are mostly bishops outside Rome who are given some Roman title and given the right to elect the next pope. The newer practice is a departure from ancient canonical practice. If fact, almost everything in the post-schism Roman system has been changed to some degree.

Thank you d9popov, it seems like everything in the Roman Catholic Church used to have a different function and meaning.