On Hallowe'en

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
gphadraig

Post by gphadraig »

Thank you, OrthodoxyorDeath, you make the point well. My question was a rhetorical one because I too am greatly troubled by the content of much of contemporary television programmes, especially those targetted at children and the young. 'Lighten up, old man', and, 'It's only fun', I can hear some say. Yes, just as the Serpent tempted Eve. Silly old so-and-so, he takes Genesis seriously, I hear too.

But dear scoffers and critics I do, believing that in the Bible and the teaching of the Fathers, together with the wisdom of the Church lies every signpost to salvation and guidepost to avoiding perdition. Much of our entertainment today seems targetted at numbing our senses, appeasing our appetites, and making us increasingly comfortable with evil, quieting our consciences in the process. Remember Satan is a deceiver, often appearing as an Angel of light rather than a revolting demon. His goal to lure us away from God, not make us run from him as fast as our legs may carry us.

Ephraem
Jr Member

Post by Ephraem »

An interesting twist that I have not heretofore heard in mainstream media that I have heard this year: the school district of Puyallup, Washington, has banned the celebration of Halloween in their schools out of respect for religious concerns. But it wasn't the Christian conservatives who got the spotlight, it was the Wiccans, who are offended by the caricatures of witches with warty noses and broomsticks. The Wiccan voice seems to be getting louder.

Ephraem
~He who seeth his own sins, seeth not the sins of others.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

The district said Halloween celebrations and children dressed in Halloween costumes might be offensive to real witches.

"Witches with pointy noses and things like that are not respective symbols of the Wiccan religion and so we want to be respectful of that," Hansen said.

The Wiccan, or Pagan, religion is said to be growing in the United States and there are Wiccan groups in Puyallup.

Witches respect their demonic religion, now where has all of the Christian zeal in this country gone?

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Witches respect their demonic religion, now where has all of the Christian zeal in this country gone?

Jesus Christ said that He will be with us until the end of time and always. The wiccans may talk louder, but God's Word is final. And as they say, the last word is the one that counts. We already know who will win the final war. The question is...how many will be lost in the battle?

As for the wiccans complaining about the negative image...they have been chanting that tune since the 60's. I remember seeing a couple of episodes of "Bewitched" that addressed that point.

By now, they have gained the sympathy, even of the government. They have even gone on t.v. to state that they are honest, decent people...but they still have to do blood sacrifices, in their rituals. They just don't admit that it's human blood. They believe that a human life force and the blood will give them more spiritual power...now, I wonder who told them that load of c--p. Their practice has been made legal in some states. There is even the Church of Satan, in San Franscico, that is considered a legal religious group! What does that say about the people in the government?

As for myself...I am locking my doors and windows and incesing everywhere, on Oct 31st. Many children have been abducted during this time, for sacrifice. I'm not exaggerating. These people are possessed.

Joanne

CGW

Oh, Please

Post by CGW »

joasia wrote:

As for the wiccans complaining about the negative image...they have been chanting that tune since the 60's. I remember seeing a couple of episodes of "Bewitched" that addressed that point.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but by my calculations the first episodes aired before you were born and the last aired when you were in first grade. You must pardon me if I doubt such early (or in the case of reruns, such after-the-fact) memories, but as far as I can ascertain, Wicca barely began to emerge into the public consciousness about the time that the show went off the air.

By now, they have gained the sympathy, even of the government. They have even gone on t.v. to state that they are honest, decent people...but they still have to do blood sacrifices, in their rituals.

I actually know (a bit distantly, to be sure) a few actual wiccans. I think you are just passing rumors and legends.

Their practice has been made legal in some states.

Their practice is legal in all states, because that is what the constitution requires. Your objection is beside the point, and I can assure you, they object almost as strenuously to your beliefs.

As for myself...I am locking my doors and windows and incesing everywhere, on Oct 31st. Many children have been abducted during this time, for sacrifice. I'm not exaggerating.

But you are passing unsubstantiated rumors. Here are some actual federal statistics which could enlighten you, and which you should read instead of panic-mongering preachers.

Last edited by CGW on Tue 26 October 2004 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

joasia wrote:

As for myself...I am locking my doors and windows and incesing everywhere, on Oct 31st. Many children have been abducted during this time, for sacrifice. I'm not exaggerating. These people are possessed.

Also recently known as "The Scott Peterson Defense"

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

You got a laugh out of me that time Tom :wink: