WHY DOES SUFFERING EXIST IN HE WORLD???

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Apologist
Jr Member

WHY DOES SUFFERING EXIST IN HE WORLD???

Post by Apologist »

Tribulations are a blessing. This is why the Prophet David dares to say, "test me, o Lord, and put me in temptation" (Psalms 26:2)! They are not caused by God, but by the imperfection that exists in our world. But the Lord allows us to endure hardships, up to one point, so that we will be saved. Because salvation can't come without a cross! We must never forget that "through much tribulation we must enter into the kingdom of God" (Acts 14:22). We aren't tested in order to "teach" God how faithful we are, but in order to actively become holy people! The fruit of tribulation are extremely valuable, since thanks to them we are corrected and sanctified, acquiring thus every virtue. St. Isaac of Syria explains, "Fighters are tested so that they can enlarge their spiritual wealth. Tepid people, so that they can protect themselves from anything that harms them. Dormant people, so that they wake up. People away from God, so that they approach Him. And the friends of God, so that they can enter Heaven with outspokenness, since they will have endured so many things for His sake" (Sermon 48 ). In this way, not only we pay for our sins, but also obtain a reward in Heaven. It is enough to endure them with faith, patience, humility, praising and thanking the Lord constantly. Unfortunately, some people say that tribulations make us worse. But our unwillingness to become saints makes us worse, since we don't take advantage of the chances given to us for our benefit! Eagerness often makes hard things easy, whereas reluctance makes easy things hard. As we know, "unwillingness is the mother of Hell" (St. Isaac of Syria, Sermon 45). We benefit even when our neighbors endure hardships, because then we are filled with love and compassion and try to bring the whole world to the Kingdom of Heaven. Where tribulations don't exist, love cannot express itself. Anyway, we all know what happened when God put Adam and Eve in Paradise without any testing. They couldn't appreciate anything, because they hadn’t practiced any virtue. "Take away tribulations and nobody will be saved", as a holy monk once said.

Last edited by Apologist on Mon 27 December 2004 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apologist
Jr Member

Post by Apologist »

It' s so simple! I don't understand why people dare to become blasphemous during tribulations... Jesus suffered more than the whole world for our sake!!!!

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Apologist,

Are you talking to yourself?? :wink:

I tried explaining about tribulations to my mother, but she just didn't get it. The worldly mentality has made suffering a taboo. Suffering is bad and luxury is good. Unless suffering leads to money, that is.

This is a majorly, messed up society.

Apologist
Jr Member

Post by Apologist »

I hope my little answer helps... Try telling her about Jesus' pain, though. It always helps! Here's how I see it: If my Jesus, the Almighty God Himself, was flogged and crucified and pierced and nailed and mocked and boiled and burned and impaled and flayed and shot and mutilated and beheaded and buried alive for my salvation, I should NEVER EVER EVER doubt His Love, but I should accept His will with joy and eagerness!!! Elder Paisios said once that Jesus suffered more than all the martyrs put toghether. He endured the whole world's pain...

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

I AGREE. And I also remember that for myself. But, there's something about certain people, that just can't conceptualize that spiritual depth.

You know what I mean? They just can't grasp it. It's like they're spiritually asleep. Like they're in a coma. Like they're apathetic to that deeper meaning. All that's left is to pray for their spiritual awakening. Only God will know when they can be touched.

All the sins of the world on His heart. When He was on the Cross, I believe that He saw all the created children, past, present and future. He was suffering for me....me, who was born in the 20th century. He was aware of my existence to come. How could I not give my life to Him? And I will dare to go further...I have felt that each individual that has existed and will exist, obviously have more than one sin each...and that Christ took on all the multiple sins of each person ever born or to be born. That's a multiplication of billions(quadrillions?) of sins. Nobody else could take that burden except God. Look at married couples who can't handle even one sin of their spouse...and all the turmoil it causes in a relationship.

But, this is way too deep for many people to understand. So I don't bring it up. I took the chance here. I've become wary of what I write, lately. It seems to be taken the wrong way. I hope I have not been offensive with my thoughts.

Thank you, Apologist, for your encouragement.

Apologist
Jr Member

Post by Apologist »

I love your thoughts too, Joasia!

Blessed be ye poor, for your's is the Kingdom of God.
Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh...
But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.
Woe unto you that are full: for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now: for ye shall mourn and weep. (Luke 6:20-25)

Archangel Michael takes out the rich man's soul!!!! :shock:

Anyway, we must never be disappointed when God doesn' t do every little thing we ask, since He knows better what is good for us! As the Elder Paisios once said, "When we ask from God the solution of our problems, God listens but acts like He doesn't listen, because it isn't good for us when all our problems are solved, since we lose property that exists in Heaven and grows without their solutions".

I also love this quote by the Eldress Gabrielia, that we should all learn by heart (!!!): EVERYTHING IS IN GOD'S PLAN ...

Here's a few photos from Mel Gibson's movie:

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

I've never seen the icon of Archangel Michel taking out a person's soul. That seems kind of brutal. I know that he fought lucifer, but this icon seems out of place. Forgive my ignorance, but where was this taught?

I never saw the Passion movie. But, I heard that many who were spiritually asleep, could not, but be affected by the images. At least, to understand, that there's more to the crucifixion than having a day off on Good Friday (Big Friday). Christ's flesh was, literally, sliced in strips, because of all the flogging. The second pic certainly makes the actor's skin look like it will fall off any minute.

This image will burn in my memory and remind me of the torture He endured for us.