SolarEclipse ForeverStamp: a new technology

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

SolarEclipse ForeverStamp: a new technology

Post by Barbara »

"Tired of telling friends and family about the total solar eclipse coming in August?

Just send them a letter. They don’t even need to read it.

The Postal Service announced Thursday that it is releasing a first-of-its-kind stamp that changes images when touched.

The Total Solar Eclipse Forever stamp commemorates the Aug. 21 eclipse. The stamp transforms from the black circle of an eclipsed moon into the full moon, from the heat of a finger.

... If you want to see the event in totality, you’ll need to head to Oregon, Idaho and other points on the 70-mile wide path.

The back of the stamp has a map of the eclipse’s path and times it will appear in some locations.

The stamp uses thermochromic ink that changes color based on temperature. The image reverts to the eclipse when it cools.

The stamp will be released June 20. Because it is a “forever” stamp, it will cost whatever a first class stamp costs at the time it’s bought.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/latest-ne ... 75719.html

For those unfamiliar with Forever Stamps, they have the advantage that they remain usable for any first class postage despite any US Post Office stamp price increases. They are a handy thing to keep on hand or in one's wallet therefore. There are Christmas issues most years, and other rather boring generic Forever Stamps like US flags.

Some people like to stock up on Forever Stamps as soon as they go on sale because there may be a limited printing. While this Solar Eclipse issue looks promising, eventually, a new Forever Stamp will be introduced. These will become more difficult to find.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: SolarEclipse ForeverStamp: a new technology

Post by Barbara »

I finally saw one of these when it arrived on a letter last week. I thought it looked dismaying, as it was in that black phase. The image here looks SO much better. The black moon phase looks ominous.

I have to check whether heat transforms the stamp into the light colored moon the way it's touted to work.
Update : it doesn't. I saw a few areas go a little lighter, but not even turning grey let alone whitish color. Not sure whether the postmark made a difference or not.

Time to get any Forever Stamps that appeal, as the price of a 1st Class stamp is going up January 2018. I heard an announcement today, giving the date of the 31st, I think it was. Usually price hikes take effect right after New Years.

PS - after so much hype about that eclipse late last summer, it seems like it was not as major of an event as predicted.
Either way, the eclipse was rapidly forgotten the minute it was over.

Perhaps the major way that memory lingers at all is through use of this stamp.