Growing Trees and Shrubs in your climate zone

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Growing Trees and Shrubs in your climate zone

Post by Barbara »

Maria wrote:

Oh, importantly, those of us who live in sub-tropical Los Angeles (agricultural zone 11), have noticed that our fruit bearing trees did not blossom this February. Instead, they have just started blossoming in mid-June. Reason -- we had an unusually cold winter, and it appears as if the Weather Channel is not telling us the truth. We lost several trees due to the cold freeze. If we had had a truthful warning by the Weather Channel, perhaps by placing tarps and buckets of water around those more tropical trees, we could have saved them from the cold freeze.

Sorry to hear about your trees, Maria. What type were they ? And how would buckets of water have helped, except to weigh down the tarps - ?
I didn't know it was so cold this year in L.A. That's quite something if trees froze last winter and then failed to bloom in Feb. as they should have, apparently, for your Zone 11 [ ! ]. We could maybe move this to the tree thread, which I intend to return to.
But too about the volcanic activity, I didn't connect that with a worldwide cool off.

This post has been moved from As the Sun Turns to Growing Trees
Maria
Admin.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Growing Trees and Shrubs in your climate zone

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:
Maria wrote:

Oh, importantly, those of us who live in sub-tropical Los Angeles (agricultural zone 11), have noticed that our fruit bearing trees did not blossom this February. Instead, they have just started blossoming in mid-June. Reason -- we had an unusually cold winter, and it appears as if the Weather Channel is not telling us the truth. We lost several trees due to the cold freeze. If we had had a truthful warning by the Weather Channel, perhaps by placing tarps and buckets of water around those more tropical trees, we could have saved them from the cold freeze.

Sorry to hear about your trees, Maria. What type were they ? And how would buckets of water have helped, except to weigh down the tarps - ?
I didn't know it was so cold this year in L.A. That's quite something if trees froze last winter and then failed to bloom in Feb. as they should have, apparently, for your Zone 11 [ ! ]. We could maybe move this to the tree thread, which I intend to return to.
But too about the volcanic activity, I didn't connect that with a worldwide cool off.

This post has been moved from As the Sun Turns to Growing Trees
Maria
Admin.

A worldwide cool off (aka, mini ice age) will affect our ability to grow crops as certain plants especially tropical plants are more susceptible to frost and freezes.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.