Alcoholism kills

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Alcoholism kills

Post by Maria »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 593347002/

Alcohol is killing more people, and younger. The biggest increases are among women

Jayne O'Donnell, USA TODAY Published 11:01 a.m. ET Nov. 16, 2018 | Updated 3:08 p.m. ET Nov. 16, 2018

OAKTON, Va. – The last time lawyer Erika Byrd talked her way out of an alcohol rehab center, her father took her to lunch.

"Dad, I know what alcohol has done to me," she told him that day in January 2011. "I know what it has made me do to you and mom. But that wasn’t me."

By the time she died three months later, Byrd had blocked her parents' calls because they kept having her involuntarily committed. They once had a magistrate judge hold a hearing at her hospital bed. He ordered her to undergo a month of in-patient treatment. ...

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Alcoholism kills

Post by Barbara »

This article was frightening -- and I only skimmed it, since it hurt my eyes to read. What if I had read every word ?!

What I did read was quite informative and detailed. I kept thinking it had ended, when an advertisement would intervene and the text of the article resume below.

I have been thinking for awhile to do a thread "Anti-Drinking : Saints and Holy figures" to pair with the Anti-Smoking thread. This spurs me on to do so, though there are no examples in the literature of women drinkers being admonished or assisted by Orthodox Elders. Apparently, as the USA Today article highlights, it's a modern phenomenon - ?

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Alcoholism kills

Post by Barbara »

Here is that thread I promised to begin :

http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... 14&t=12728