House of Romanovs Wants Royal Remains Examined

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Joanna Higginbotham

House of Romanovs Wants Royal Remains Examined

Post by Joanna Higginbotham »

24 February 2010, 16:18
Moscow, February 24, Interfax - The House of Romanovs has said it wants to re-examine what is thought to be the remains of the last Russian Tsar Nicholas II and his family found in Yekaterinburg.

"Unfortunately, there is too much confusion in this case and some serious errors were made when the Yekaterinburg remains were being identified," Prince Georgy Mikhailovich, the son of the Romanovs' House head Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, told Interfax on Wednesday.

"Many of the facts uncovered suggest that the Commission was staging a political show for a date, rather than working to establish the truth," Romanov said.

The remains were buried in St. Petersburg in 1998 in haste and in defiance of the opinion of the Russian Orthodox Church and the House of Romanovs, he said.

"No satisfactory answers have been provided to the ten questions, formulated by independent scholars and referred to the Commission back in 1998 by the late Russian Orthodox Patriarch Alexy II. Meanwhile, those were questions, which interested not only experts, but also people and millions of believers. The Church needed to console these people instead of leaving them with a feeling of having been deceived. The Commission did not care. There was a farce instead of an act of repentance and purification," he said.

The remains' authenticity must be further studied, Romanov said.

Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Re: House of Romanovs Wants Royal Remains Examined

Post by Pravoslavnik »

The veneration of the Royal Martyrs was not fashionable in MP circles in 1998, and Moscow Patriarch Alexey II did not want to offend his Communist Party associates in 1998 by attending the enshrinement ceremonies at the Sts. Peter and Paul Fortress. History is written by the "victors," and the modern world-- in- and outside of Russia-- has been inundated for a century with Bolshevik propaganda about "Bloody Nicholas." I knew a highly educated Soviet emigre in my ROCOR parish ten years ago who scoffed at our veneration of the Royal Martyrs, and also questioned the authenticity of the Romanov relics, which was thoroughly documented in Robert K. Massie's book Romanovs: The Final Chapter.

Code: Select all

In my opinion, the forensic and DNA evidence of the relics' authenticity seems quite convincing.  Hence, I am puzzled by this latest quasi-official skepticism in MP circles regarding the relics' authenticity.  Is it based in science, or evidence of fraudulence?  And, what motive would there have been in 1998 for such fraudulence?  (No one was standing in line to venerate these relics when I visited the St. Peter and Paul Cathedral in 2003.)  If the MP acknowledges that the relics are authentic, as the DNA evidence indicates, they must also acknowledge that their own Patriarch Alexey II deliberately declined to attend the ceremonies surrounding the transfer of these holy relics from Ekaterinberg to St. Petersburg in 1998.  This is one of many anecdotes about Patriarch Alexey II which reveal his true character and profound "spirituality."

Here is a link to the Massie text: http://www.amazon.com/Romanovs-Chapter-Robert-K-Massie/dp/0345406400/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267146534&sr=1-6
Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

To provide some background here is the rest of apparently the same interview of Prince/Grand Duke George with Interfax columnist Paul Koryashkinu.

So we can get a glimpse into the life of Prince George and evaluate the history of his family as he tells it, and thus form an opinion.
I don't understand myself especially why he and his mother are so close to the MP Patriarchs, among other eyebrow-raising questions.
The lengthy WWII tales may well be boring to readers here. Skip if wish to.
P.S.: If there any eligible princesses out there in the reading audience, this man says he is on the outlook for a suitable match....

The language translation is lacking but it is comprehensible:

"- Why Romanov Imperial House is not moving to Russia?

• In order Romanov Imperial House finally returns home as a historic institution, it is necessary to resolve some legal issues associated with the attitude of the modern state and the historic dynasty. We absolutely have no political and property claims. We respect the Constitution and the existing state power, trying to help it no matter what.
    But we also believe that it is fair to have respect to the status of the dynasty, which we have not begun, and we do not end. It is common international practice. Dynasties deprived of political power continue to play an important role in public life of Republican states such as France, Portugal, Germany, Bulgaria, Romania, Austria, Hungary, Serbia and many others. There is nothing extraordinary in it, so I am confident that in the near future solution will be found in Russia.
    Regarding each of us personally - my mother, Head of the Romanov House, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, me and my grandmother, Grand Duchess Leonida Georgiyevna, then since 1991 we have regularly come to the Motherland, and together and separately. In 1992 we received Russian passports.
    Every year visits to Russia are becoming more frequent. In 2008 my long-standing desire was realized, and I now represent the interests of Russian producers in the European Union. Our office operates in Moscow we trying to develop various charitable and cultural projects. So the process of reintegration of the dynasty in the life of modern Russia is now constantly evolving and taking new forms.

....[paragraphs already quoted from on this thread]....

• All members of the royal family, executed by the Bolsheviks after the Revolution, were rehabilitated. In Russia there are calls to rehabilitate members of white movement. What do you think about this?

• Each case should be dealt with accordance to the Law "About rehabilitation of victims of political repression, as it was done for our family. By law, all those who suffered political repression by class, social and religious grounds, should be rehabilitated. But we must remember that the Civil War - is a terrible fratricide, for which all parties have a share of responsibility, and both are victims. In the case of rehabilitation should be no revenge mood, but only the desire to restore justice and legality in relation to those who suffered innocently, without having committed any crime, only because of their beliefs, religion or origin.

• Do Romanovs have some kind of property, bank accounts abroad, inherited from members of the dynasty? On which means House of the Romanovs has charitable projects, supports the work of his office in Russia, foreign missions?

• After the revolution we have been deprived of all property and livelihood. My grandfather and grandmother were able to arrange their life in exile due to the testament of Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. She was my grandmother’s mother. It was not so much money, but when used judiciously, they helped to provide a modest but adequate standard in subsequent years.
    Some assistance was provided by the faithful compatriots, also caught in a strange land, but managed to establish their business. For example, it was the remarkable Russian aircraft constructor Sikorsky. Now my mother has her own apartment in Madrid. This is the only property of our family. Unfortunately, we had to leave house in St. Briac. We were no longer able to maintain and repair it.
    Now I earn money for the family life. Charitable and cultural events we can arrange through our personal involvement in charitable projects and assistance of friends. Office and it’s recently opened representation in Transnistria are working on a voluntary basis, through the work of our volunteer staff, without funding. And the official representation of the Imperial house abroad does not currently exist - there are individuals or groups who help us in distributing information and other social activities.

• How House of the Romanovs survived the Second World War? What it was doing? What is House of the Romanovs attitude to nobility representatives, who fought on the side of Germany? How was your grandfather, Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich found together with the unit of the Wehrmacht, PHA Smyslovskogo, on the border with Liechtenstein?

• When the war started, my grandfather was 22 years. He lived in St. Briac and, thus, was on the territory occupied by Germany. The situation was extremely difficult, especially after Germany attacked the USSR. Many Russian immigrants believed that with the help of Germany it will be possible to defeat communism. But my grandfather, like his father, Emperor Cyril, always fundamentally rejected the bid for foreign intervention. Therefore, when the Germans and pro-German compatriots insisted on publication of statement in connection with the war, my grandfather was in an almost hopeless situation.
    Refuse or to make anti-German demarche meant not only suicide, but also jeopardize the lives of many Russian people living in the occupied zone. Issued an appeal in favor of Germany - meant to renounce his views and support the invaders of native country. And my grandfather found the only possible way at the moment. He issued a short statement in which only stated the fact of the war and called on compatriots to seize the moment for the country's liberation from communism. Here he is in no way go against his conscience, as called for to struggle against God-fighting communism always - even before the war, and during the war, and after the war. But he neither directly nor indirectly expressed support for the invaders, knowing very well that the Nazis are not going to liberate Russia from Communism and to enslave her. Germans are no longer trying to attract his grandfather on his side, and totally controlled him. However, there were aristocrats among the German officers who had a respect to the Russian Grand Duke and did not share Nazi views. Thanks to their support grandpa could help the Soviet prisoners of war in concentration camps in Saint-Malo and Jersey. He gave them food and toys for children, invited to them an Orthodox priest, Father John, who personally visited them and tried to cheer. It was very risky, but my grandfather could not do otherwise - they were his compatriots, and he used every opportunity to help them.
    When German position began to deteriorate, they forced my grandfather to move to Paris and then to Germany, to his sister Mary Leyningenskoy. It happened before Allies landed. When Nazis finally collapsed, they were not up to oversee him. Then my grandfather wanted to return to France or travel to his family in Spain untouched by the war. The most secure way was through Austria and Switzerland. In the Austrian city of Feldkirch, where grandfather stayed, entered the French units of General Le’Clair.
    Smyslovskii Army was in the same places because accidentally. Some dishonorable people try to use that fact to cast a shadow on the memory of his grandfather, that, ostensibly, he has been linked to the army, who fought in German uniforms. This is an absolute lie. The fact is that my grandfather was not let to pass through the territory of Liechtenstein, proves only confusion and chaos of wartime. After all Liechtenstein authorities let Smyslovskii Army to pass! If they avoided contact with the Allies, the Germans, then the chances would deny the military than civilians. This clearly indicates that the reason was not some reprehensible actions of grandfather, but the confusion of the situation.
    Armed officers and soldiers in German uniforms crossed the border and received shelter. But grandfather and a group of civilians of Russian emigrants who accompanied him, returned to Austria. Reasonable explanation of the latter fact does not exist. Instead, the French, who were part of the anti-Hitler coalition, and hated the Nazis, helped my grandfather to draw up the documents and travel to Spain to his aunt Infant Beatriz.
    The head of the Spanish State F. Franco hospitably received the head of Russian dynasty. Later grandfather lived alternately in Spain and France. Nobody ever even thought to blame him as collaborator. But French is still very sensitive to this issue. In the recently published book in France about the European dynasties "Little Gotha" states objectively and honestly: "During the war, Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich refused to respond to the insistence of the Nazis who wanted to use it against the USSR. Released in 1945 by the allies, he soon settled in Spain with his aunt. "
    When a [my?] grandfather for the first and only time came to Russia in 1991, among the first events he visited memorials of defenders of the Motherland [is that not a Soviet term??] during the Great Patriotic War and honor the victims of the blockade of Leningrad. He was always a patriot and believed in his country. My grandfather understood the tragedy of Russian anti-communists, caught between the hammer and the anvil of two inhuman totalitarian regimes. But he never approved of the war with its own people and in no way tarnished the good name of our dynasty.

• Personal: please tell us where do you work now?

• After graduating from Oxford, I spent several years in the European structures associated with transport and energy, security of nuclear production. But always wanted to find a job directly related to my Motherland. And, finally, the opportunity appeared. Since December 2008 I am an advisor to the Director-General of one of the largest Russian companies - Norilsk Nickel, and represent the company in European Nickel Institute. Thus, I am working in the field of protecting the interests of Russian producers in the European Union..."

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

Back in the lineage of the prince interviewed above, his ancestors, Grand Duke Cyril and his wife known to royal-history watchers as "Ducky" - maybe that was why found some navy blue Duck tape just now, to tip me off to look at this video, ha ha -
one can see photos of Ducky's life briefly at this short video:

From there, there is a selection on the right margin where one can see the dark-haired Grand Duchess calling to her daughter presumably at their house in St-Briac, a village in Brittany, the one mentioned in the interview above, in preparation for her husband's speech: "Cyril speaks to the Russian people".

It's interesting to get a feel for who these people were.
For fans of the anti-Communist Queen Marie of Romania, Ducky - Victoria Melita her given name - was her sister. They were as unalike as night and day but were close.

Anyone have any impressions about either the Grand Duke or Grand Duchess? I feel that Cyril seems affected, but there is not enough of his speech to judge the content. He was not known to be an effective leader, unfortunately.

Some people thought Grand Duke Dmitri was a better choice for the succession, but he restless, bored even while carrying on a wild social life. Rather shallow apparently.
This was the brother of Grand Duchess Marie, author of the much-read books "Education of A Princess" and the sequel.

I was appalled to read elshwhere that Dmitri had conducted a high-profile affair in 1921 with the Parisian clothes & perfume designer, Coco Chanel. Among other problems, it was this low-born Frenchwoman who introduced much higher hemlines for women, thus opening this new epoch of immodest wear for women. A terrible choice for a Russian who was in line for the succession to the throne should it be restored. In fact, Dmitri's was actually better than Cyril's until Dmitri's later marriage to an American commoner. Seems I read that Dmitri was briefly a mayor of West Palm Beach, Florida, but maybe I'm mixing him up with another Russian aristocrat in exile.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

I recall reading that the ROCOR was also skeptical of the authenticity of the Yekaterinburg relics back in the 90s; it wasn't just the MP. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ROCOR position was that the remains of the Royal Family had been successfully moved from the country by the Whites, and had been interred in a ROCOR church in Brussels. The MP, for its part, wasn't so much concerned about authenticity as reluctant to promote the cult of the Royal Family, due to continuing communist influence in the church. This leaves me wondering what, if anything, was the agenda of those who were promoting the Yekaterinburg relics.

The current skepticism doesn't seem to have an ideological motivation. Rather, I imagine it stems from this uncertainty about which relics are in fact authentic. Is anyone in ROCOR still promoting the Brussels relics?

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

Those are good questions - I think there is a lot of confusion around the entire topic for many, in fact.
Neither is there anyone to give answers.
Oh well.
If any should be interested, I saw a 4 minute video just now of a memorial service for
the Grand Duchess Leonida which has some historical footage, including perhaps rare snapshots of her Bagration family.
The interviewee brings out a fact so often overlooked: the Georgians had the most ancient Christian dynasty.
[At least as known.
Armenia was the first Christian nation. So, these countries deserve credit for this, which they rarely receive !]

http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-06-02/memor ... ?fullstory

Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Post by Pravoslavnik »

The scientific evidence for the authenticity of the Romanov relics recovered from the forest outside of Ekaterinberg is quite convincing-- unless of course the DNA and forensic data summarized in Robert Massie's monograph is based on falsification of the data. The DNA was compared to that of the Tsar's close biological relatives in England and elsewhere.

Code: Select all

Hence, I have been puzzled by the political skepticism about the relics authenticity from any quarter.  Certainly, the MP has faced the ongoing problem of its alliance with powerful current and former members of the Communist Party in the Russian Federation.  These MP hagiographers can hardly glorify Derzhinsky, Lenin, Stalin, AND the Romanovs whom they murdered without appearing utterly schizophrenic.

As for the doubts of the surviving Romanovs, themselves, it is not clear what they question about the remarkable story of the discovery and verification of these Ekaterinberg relics.