Learning Greek?

Η θέση σας που επικοινωνεί στην ελληνική γλώσσα.
Justin Kissel

Learning Greek?

Post by Justin Kissel »

Can someone suggest (in English, please :) ) a place where my wife and I could purchase a book that will teach us Greek? We've begun learning the alphabet and some words, but for the most part all we found at the library was stuff that was mostly for the use of tourists.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Here!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

ImageImage

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I don't see Greek there...? :) confused

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Oh, it was in the Russian forum and I seemingly skimmed. Oops! well at least it is in the Greek forum now! LOL!

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Justin,

I might be able to get some 1st, 2nd, 3rd grade books from our school if you are interested. I can also recommend some Greek-English service books that are somewhat inexpensive, I have a work in progress of the Divine Liturgy and Vespers in Greek-English (of course the selections from the Ochtoechos, Psalter, ect are not included).

There is even a thick book of all the services of Holy Week written in side-by-side Greek-English.

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

First off, which kind of Greek are you interested in learning?

Church or Modern?

Some people will say that you "have" to learn Modern first, but this doesn't make sense to me. After taking three years of Latin, Koine Greek comes very easily while modern is much more of a struggle for me. If you are solely interested in Greek for use in reading of the New Testament, Fathers and Church services there are plenty of good books out there. Start going through a book ( I recomend some if you are interested) and practice reading from the service books, the New Testament, etc and also get some good chanting CDs to listen to. Then in no time you will at least be able to understand most of the "easy" passages from the Scriptures and Liturgy.

George Australia
Sr Member

Post by George Australia »

Dear in Christ,
If it is Koine you are interested in, can I suggest two freeware programs you can download which use a "flashcard" system to learn New Testament Greek based on the frequency of words in the New Testament.

The first is:
Quickmem Greek
QuickMem Greek is based on the QuickMem engine to help you learn New Testament Greek vocabulary. The words lists are based on Bruce M. Metzger’s Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek covering all words occurring ten or more times in the New Testament.

The second is:
Wordbase Greek
Which I particularly like because you get this great "hang man" game to play with in it- my God-children love it!

In Christ,

George