Learning Greek?

Η θέση σας που επικοινωνεί στην ελληνική γλώσσα.
Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

OOD

I might be able to get some 1st, 2nd, 3rd grade books from our school if you are interested. I can also recommend some Greek-English service books that are somewhat inexpensive, I have a work in progress of the Divine Liturgy and Vespers in Greek-English (of course the selections from the Ochtoechos, Psalter, ect are not included).

At this point, anything you could recommend would be helpful. In particular, the grade-school books would be helpful. Could you see about how much such text(s) would cost, and from what address we would get them from? :)

Nektarios,

We're trying to learn modern Greek at this point, after which I'd probably go on to Koine (if things went well). We were trying to do it as it seems most people learn their native tongue. We've begun by learning some of the words, doing the alphabet, etc., that we got from a travelers/tourist book in English/Greek. We figured that if we were at least somewhat familiar with some words and how the words were put together, so to speak, we'd be able to more easily learn syntax and whatnot. If you would also have particular texts to recommend, we're certainly all ears :)

George,

Thank you for the suggestions /\ I will have to revisit this thread if/when I start on Koine.

Aristokles
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Post by Aristokles »

Hi,
For Attic/Koine I use this site extensively:

http://www.textkit.com/

The pdf formats are tiresome, but it's free!

I've many others for modern.

Demetri

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Thank you Demetri! I added it to the portal page.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Oops! I should be speaking Greek in this forum. Doh!

Σας ευχαριστούμε Demetri! Έχω προσθέσει την πρόταση στην πυίδα
σελίδα.

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

How is it going with the Greek lessons? I wanted to suggest that you check with some Greek Churches in your area, a lot of the GOA's offer Greek lessons (and are sometimes even affiliated with a college, so you could get credits from it as well)

Years and years ago, most Russian Churches had language lessons, but its died out-too bad.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

So far, not so good! ...We both recently started new jobs though... things should get back to normal soon :)

Aristokles
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Post by Aristokles »

Nicholas wrote:

Oops! I should be speaking Greek in this forum. Doh!

Σας ευχαριστούμε Demetri! Έχω προσθέσει την πρόταση στην πυίδα
σελίδα.

Ειμαι ευχαριστημενος !

(Where are my polytonic fonts? - on my other computer, of course.)