Names in orther Languages!

Η θέση σας που επικοινωνεί στην ελληνική γλώσσα.
romiosini

Names in orther Languages!

Post by romiosini »

Does anyone know Greek and Russian? Or Arabic? I've been wondering lately how some names get translated. Usually Russian names are practicly almost like the greek names just with "-yi" at end. Like Vasily (Russian), Basil (English), Vasilios (Greek).

But I'm wondering about the name James! in the English language James and Jacob are 2 distinctive and seperate names. Just like in Greek, "Iakovos" (James) and "Iakov" (Jacob). I was wondering how is it in Russian? Is there any distinction in between these two names? (Also arabic whoever knows!)

Thanks in Advance!

the uneducated
Romiosini

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

Ah, I can help you on this one, Rominisi! I'm an Arabic student right now in fact! James in Arabic is Iakob (or Yakob). So there's a similar line there in the Arabic and the Greek (the Arabs don't have a "v" sound, just a "b" and an "f"). I remember looking at a mural at a monastery, in the narthex, and racking my brains trying to find James :lol: Then I consulted with some Greek friends and found out about the whole Iakovos thing. I'm guessing that James is Yakov in Russian, but I could difinitely be wrong!

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Justin wrote:

Ah, I can help you on this one, Rominisi! I'm an Arabic student right now in fact! James in Arabic is Iakob (or Yakob). So there's a similar line there in the Arabic and the Greek (the Arabs don't have a "v" sound, just a "b" and an "f"). I remember looking at a mural at a monastery, in the narthex, and racking my brains trying to find James :lol: Then I consulted with some Greek friends and found out about the whole Iakovos thing. I'm guessing that James is Yakov in Russian, but I could difinitely be wrong!

Thank you Justin! So you're telling me that James and Jacob is the same thing in Arabic?

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

Evidently so! I tried to figure that one out after realizing that Iakovos was Greek for James, and now that I know the same is basically true for Arabic, I wonder where the James thing came into being. My guess is that it has something to do with the west adapting the name, but how, I don't know. The reason I say that about the west is that in Spanish, I'm pretty sure that James is Jaime (pronounced "hai-meh). But that's about all the eveidence I can come up with at present. Let me know if you find out!

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

My spiritual father, who left for Lebanon a while ago to see his Spiritual father and his monastery. (Actually, it's an Athonite who is doing Missionary work for the poor confused Arabs there and has made a stance against Ecumenism, especially on the Balamand issue, even though the Patriarch doesn't like it, he can't do a thing, because the people want him.) He told me the same thing, James and Jacob in Arabic, is Yakoub (or as you wrote Justin Yakob). Same thing in russian also... I'm wondering, what about the Saint Yakoub of Hamatouri in Lebanon who died a martyr from the Moslems... In order to know what his name is exactly we have to find out if he was celebrating Saint James the brother of God or Saint Jacob the Patriarch (son of Abraham). .... I wonder...

Last edited by romiosini on Tue 22 June 2004 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

You don't suppose he could have been a "Jason" could he have? Jason is a pretty old name :idea:

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

No no. Jason in Greek is Ιάσων (Iason), and I think it's the same in Russian "IASON" i presume. (Though the sad part is I dont know where to find Russian fonts and IVe been looking for them its been a while). Jason and Jacob are one of the most ancient names in human history. ... I just never thought there weren't any seperate names in Slavonic and in Arabic.

Romiosini