Names in orther Languages!

Η θέση σας που επικοινωνεί στην ελληνική γλώσσα.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Re: Names in orther Languages!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

romiosini wrote:

Does anyone know Greek and Russian? Or Arabic? I've been wondering lately how some names get translated. Usually Russian names are practicly almost like the greek names just with "-yi" at end. Like Vasily (Russian), Basil (English), Vasilios (Greek).

Not always, many names that end in -os or -us this is just dropped for Russian, Such as Nicephorus becomes Nikifor in Russian and Nectarios becomes Nektary.

Iakovos is an interesting one that people often ask when reading the Orthodox New Testament, since James is written as Iakovos. But when you start seeing what Jesus' name is in Hebrew, Greek and Arabic, you start to get the bigger picture. (Yeshua - Joshua)

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Of course, Nicholas. Prophet Joshua and the Savious himself, are seperate names in English, I presume, to show the 2 different figures of the Bible.
But in Arabic, how do the Saints names get translated? It is a big confusion for me, I haven't found yet the translation of the name Basil in Arabic....

I wonder, do Arabs have official Translations in Arabic, such as George (Girgis)? or it is simply greek like direct names?

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

The name Basil (aka Vasilios in Greek and Vasily in Russian) would probably just be "Basilios" or "Baseel" (stress on the "i"). From what I've noticed, Arab Orthodox are generally named after Saints that come from their region and therefore have names that are native to that area. The one I haven't figured out just yet are the Copts, because I think that they have Saints that are either post-Chalcedon, and then unkown to us, or merely local Saints that are pre-Chalcedon that we haven't heard of (much like an Egyptian would not have necessarily heard of say, St. John Maximovitch or Papa Nicholas Planas quite yet..). I have a two Coptic professors, one named "Onsy" and the other named "Talaat". But then again, there is a professor "Emil" (which is fairly close to Emilios/Emilia) and their priest's name is Salib ("cross", the Arabic equivalent of "Stavros"...unless that just means crucifixion...I'm not a Greek student :wink: ) But anyway, I think I'm just puttering on and not really relaying useful information. Good night all, and Allah yesalmukoum :wink:

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Sorry to bother anyone, but what is the name Hannah in Greek?

George Australia
Sr Member

Post by George Australia »

romiosini wrote:

Sorry to bother anyone, but what is the name Hannah in Greek?

Hannah is translated as '`Αννα (Anna) in the Greek Septuagint (1 Kings 1:2 )

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Oh ya? Hannah? So why do they seperate it in English, couldn't they just call the name Anna? Is this 100% sure? Couldn't it be in Greek Χάννης; Sorry for my annoying questionning. Is it like James and Jacob in Russian and Arabic eh? Anna and Hannah but for greek too?

George Australia
Sr Member

Post by George Australia »

romiosini wrote:

Oh ya? Hannah? So why do they seperate it in English, couldn't they just call the name Anna? Is this 100% sure? Couldn't it be in Greek Χάννης; Sorry for my annoying questionning. Is it like James and Jacob in Russian and Arabic eh? Anna and Hannah but for greek too?

Putting an "h" in english before a vowel is a phonetic way of spelling.
In both greek and hebrew, the fist "a' in anna is pronounced "hard". In english, this was shown phonetically by putting an "h" before the a.