Orthodox New Testament

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Julianna

Post by Julianna »

MCK is right there is a link to buy them on the first page I think :mrgreen:

Methodius

Post by Methodius »

Orthodox_servant86 wrote:

Hello everyone, Christ is risen!

Firstly, I would kindly ask not to call the Antiochian Orthodox Church "wanna-be Roman Catholics", I am Antiochian and I was formerly RC, but I have every interest in maintaining holy Orthodox tradition if someday (if God wills) I become a priest. Therefore, please refrain from derogatory comments about those who are "less holy than thou", if you would permit that scolding. Thank you /\

Indeed He is Risen!

I believe I did not call the Antiochians as a whole, "wanna-be Roman Catholics" just those priests that were wearing a ROMAN colar, a clerical suit, were clean shaven, with short cut hair and not wearing a pectoral cross! Anyone who looks at that picture would assume they were Roman Catholic priests. If they had long hair, beards and propery clergy attire I would not have said it. But, for whatever reason, these men want to look like Roman Catholic priests rather than Orthodox priests.

I am glad that you are interested in being a priest that will maintain Orthodox tradition.

Orthodox_Servant86

Post by Orthodox_Servant86 »

Christ is risen!

Methodius, I agree with you completely in that, my priest dresses in similar fashion, with a short beard, but I personally believe that proper correction in this matter must be done by the bishop or by example... neither of which I am in the position to execute. I think that a certain attention must be brought to the fact that some priests (such as my own) are, for lack of a better word, foreign, in the sense that they may not speak much english and they retain customs from their countries. Such dress is common enough for north america, therefore they do not feel like being alienated more than already, that is one idea that I feel requires thought. It is much like a Sikh man who comes to north america and is laughed at for his turban. Also, for the priests here in question, they are all former protestants and are north americans, therefore perhaps for them it is more of an issue of receiving more converts, how many hardcore white american protestants from the bible belt would take seriously a bearded man in cassock in theolgical terms? The other day I was speaking to such a type (the former) and he thought our (traditional) priests were Jewish based on their garb.

Sorry for highjacking this thread :mrgreen: , I wont do it again. But thanks Methodius for bringing this up, I do enjoy thinking of new things from time to time. /\

ONT, very good two volumes, I reccomend it at the drop of a pin

-Justin

Natasha
Sr Member

"Foreign" Customs

Post by Natasha »

Orthodox_servant86 wrote: how many hardcore white american protestants from the bible belt would take seriously a bearded man in cassock in theolgical terms?

So you feel as if the Russian Orthodox Church should conform to WASP expectations? If the Priests feel "alienated" I think they chose the wrong vocation.

Orthodox_Servant86

Post by Orthodox_Servant86 »

Natasha, hmm, true enough, you have good reason. Though I feel that it is less a matter of conformity and more an issue of self-consciousness, and I believe you may have misinterpreted my intent. I am not trying to say that we should act as the majority's pets and live up to their expectations, I am merely saying that whereas proselytism and cultural influences (not theological, remember, we are speaking of casual garb, not liturgical nor doctrine) are concerned, we should all be willing to accept a certain limit of adaptation for the greater glory of Christ and His Church. In light of this, I really see it as a matter of discernment for the bishop, reflecting upon his authority, understanding of the local culture, and divine duty of protecting the Orthodox Tradition. This is also an issue pertaining to the relation of culture and local tradition in individual jurisdictions, and I find it rather silly to claim that a priest does not have the right vocation if he chooses, by his own will, to wear or not to wear a cassock, rather, it would be the bishop who "has the wrong vocation" since he is the one authorizing the free choice.

Just my two cents, peace be with you,

-Justin

p.s. If the above sounded AT ALL hostile, forgive me, that is not intended in the slightest my noble Orthodox Brethren.

Jakub

Post by Jakub »

Lets not judge a book by its cover, they are deceiving, the positives should be emphasized not the negatives. The first models most often need some adjustments, of course with proper review and comments.

James

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Jakub wrote:

Lets not judge a book by its cover

But Jakub, the Orthodoxy New Testament has beautiful cover! ;-)