Orthodox New Testament

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Methodius

Orthodox New Testament > "Orthodox" Study Bible

Post by Methodius »

It appears there are 2 threads on this excellent Bible: http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=342

Anyway, if the OCA was involved in that Orthodox Study Bible, that I thought was just Antiochian, they need to stay away from Bible Translation and just promote the vastly superior Orthodox New Testament! Let us hope and pray that Holy Apostles Convent can get their Old Testament done before the Orthodox Study Bible folk.
The wannabe Roman Catholics editing the OSB mess can be seen here :o

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Well, I can't tell for sure whether the OCA were involved in the NT part, though I imagine they were since the remainder of the project (the OT part) supposedly includes theologians from all the American jurisdictions that are part of World Orthodoxy (according to the article in the Antiochian publication The Word).

So, I guess I should have started the sentence in my last post "I think the OCA has helped to produce a NT..." Sorry for speaking in such a way when I wasn't positive (and my wife's OSB is in storage, so I have no way to check the notes in it).

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Yup, OCA WAS involved, it seems.

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Father Thomas Hopko, Dean of St. Vladimir's Seminary (OCA) , is listed as a special consultant and contributor in the editorial task of preparing the final manuscript of the OSB.

Julianna

Re: Orthodox New Testament > "Orthodox" Study B

Post by Julianna »

Methodius wrote:

It appears there are 2 threads on this excellent Bible: http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=342

Anyway, if the OCA was involved in that Orthodox Study Bible, that I thought was just Antiochian, they need to stay away from Bible Translation and just promote the vastly superior Orthodox New Testament! Let us hope and pray that Holy Apostles Convent can get their Old Testament done before the Orthodox Study Bible folk.
The wannabe Roman Catholics editing the OSB mess can be seen here :o

Those men are supposed to be Orthodox priests :? someone fire the casting director! With confused "priests" like that, no wonder the Study Bible is full of error

Orthodox_Servant86

Post by Orthodox_Servant86 »

Hello everyone, Christ is risen!

Firstly, I would kindly ask not to call the Antiochian Orthodox Church "wanna-be Roman Catholics", I am Antiochian and I was formerly RC, but I have every interest in maintaining holy Orthodox tradition if someday (if God wills) I become a priest. Therefore, please refrain from derogatory comments about those who are "less holy than thou", if you would permit that scolding. Thank you /\

Secondly, I do say very happily that I own both the OSB and the ONT, and allow me to say, I do in fact find the latter much, much better overall. I have the former for when I am on the go, as the two volumes of the ONT are quite weighty, though at home they are almost always at my side. The notes are without comparison, along with the translation itself. The loyalty to the greek words and verb tenses (speaking french, I do know why this is so important :mrgreen: ) is unique and unheard of in any other bible I have seen. If it could be made in a single volume with tiny print, that would definately be a blessing for all ORthodox Christians, being the uniform text beyond any other volume to date.

I trust my input is of some value for those wondering if this text is truly worth it......... it is........ I searched a year before being able to find it.

In Christ,
-Justin

p.s. it was an Antiochian Orthodox priest who reccomended I purchase the ONT over the OSB, if that is of any significance.

Orthodox Emperor

Post by Orthodox Emperor »

I've been wanting to ask, if anyone can recommend an Orthodox bible + if there is such a bible apart from in russian or greek? I guess my second question has been answered, but which one should i buy?

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I personally would suggest that you get the Orthodox New Testament from Holy Apostles Convent/Dormition Skete. It comes in two volumes with a nice bookmark in both and they have helpful notes at the end of each book. The volumes are separated into the Gospels and Epsitles. I don't know where you could get a good Bible with both the NT and the OT together though. I think the Holy Apostles Convent/Dormition Skete are working on an OT Bible though as well.

Hope this helps some!

MaryCecilia