Orthodox New Testament

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

Thank you for the replies, they are of great interest to me. I will hopefully get a chance to respond to them a little later tonight or tomorrow.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Orthodox New and Old Testaments

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Earlier we were talking about The Orthodox New Testament: The Holy Gospels
The Orthodox New Testament: Acts, Epistles, and Revelations. -- and how everyone that has them loves them. Well I wrote Mother Miriam of Holy Apostles Convent and this is what she had to say about them making a matching Orthodox Old Testament as well.

Yes, thank you for your inquiry. We are hoping to produce such a version, God-willing. In the meantime, if you wish an Old Testament commentary on the Prophets, please consider purchasing THE LIVES OF THE HOLY PROPHETS

Logos

Post by Logos »

Nicholas, do you know if we can order directly from them instead of having to go through Amazon.com?

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Nektarios, when? :? :D I am glad you all like this Bible. Its so good! I wonder why ROCOR or OCA never made a Bible?

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

Julianna wrote:

Nektarios, when? :? :D I am glad you all like this Bible. Its so good! I wonder why ROCOR or OCA never made a Bible?

Maybe they just never saw the need of doing it since there's already the ONT Bible? Personally I don't like the idea of each jurisdiction (I know you didn't mean this and I'm not implying this Julianna...just my thoughts) having their own Bible. I think we should all have ONE Orthodox Bible.....I think that makes more sense, to me at least. Why do we need multiple translations?

MaryCecilia

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

If ROCOR considers itself the sons of the Russian Church inside Russia, then they have produced numerous Bibles. And considering that ROCOR still sticks primarily with the Russian language, I don't think we should expect an English translation from them. This isn't to say that it couldn't happen, if some people within ROCOR wanted to do this and got the Bishop's blessing... but it's not necessary or to be expected.

Regarding the OCA, they have helped to produce a NT (the Orthodox Study Bible mentioned earlier, which was and is a supposedly "pan-Orthodox" project, including members of the OCA), and are in the process of helping with the OT.