I am humbeled and made to wonder

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Seraphim Reeves

I am humbeled and made to wonder

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Perhaps the best thing I've read yet on the evolution-creationist debate:

http://www.geocities.com/judmiller88/sixdawns.htm

If this article is any indication, the Orthodox position in the "creation/evolution" debate (understanding both of those terms not in the strict sense, but with all of the philosophical baggage that the main disputants in this debate bring to them) may be "neither."

It's an extremely dense article (by Alexander Kalomiros), but well worth the time it takes to read it properly. I don't think I'll ever read the opening chapters of Genesis the same again (and it touched on several points which I intuitively picked up on in the past, but had nothing coherant to back them up with.)

I must admit, that I am humbeled, and may have to re-evaluate some things which I have taken for granted thus far.

Seraphim

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I tend to agree with Fr. Seraphim Rose, (cf Monk Damascene Christensen, Not Of This World,, (Fr. Seraphim Rose Foundation, 1993), pp. 516-526) who believed that Alexander Kalomiros got it wrong on this issue. For some of Fr. Seraphim's thoughts, you can get a glimpse at this site.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

I do not place my faith in evolution.

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I tend to agree. Evolution still cannot be proved. Macro-evoloution that is, evolving from one species to another. Micro-evolution does happen where traits evolve.

The macro-evolution theory still has gaping holes after all this dcenturies and earlier this year it had another blow when so called Neaderthals were shown not to be monkey-like but intelligent good postured men.

Personally I find bishops trying to prove macro-evolution wrong.

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

We have a word for clerics pushing evolution. Modernists.