What is the start time of your church's Divine Liturgy?

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

6:00

No votes

6:30

No votes

7:00

No votes

7:30

No votes

8:00

No votes

8:30

No votes

9:00

8%

9:30

15%

10:00

62%

10:30

8%

11:00

8%

11:30

No votes

12:00

No votes

Afternoon

No votes

Evening

No votes

Total votes: 13

MikhailM

Post by MikhailM »

What is the start time of your church's Divine Liturgy? Do you think that is a good time? Why or why not?

If Divine Liturgy start time is not exactly on the hour or half hour, then pick closest start time and reply with exact time please.

I wish mine was earlier.

Last edited by MikhailM on Mon 9 December 2002 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Well, it's supposed to start at 10 but it rarely works out that way, especially during Great Lent. At 9.30 when Confession is supposed to start the church is empty, then at 10 there is still a queue at the confessional stand. I hate it. Like MikhailM I wish it started earlier, and I also wish that an Anglo-American sense of courtesy through punctuality could be inculcated in our non-Anglo-American people. Of course, another good option would be to hear confessions after Saturday Vespers (IMO Vigil every week is too much for an ordinary congregation - Vespers however isn't cruel and unusual punishment) but people don't go. I need the Eucharist, and under conditions like these I can't receive as often as I would like or perhaps should.

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Russians are rarely punctual...something in their nature....they arrive late and leave even later. Unfortunately, this trait rubs off onto others and you end up with services never starting on time.

Our parish is supposed to start at 9:45 with hours, but it never does...readers are late... cause they know the priest won't start til the choir director comes...and they are always a bit late...since they come from a great distance. Parishioners know that the service doesn't start til 10:15 or 10:30 so they arrive accoedingly.....etc, etc, etc....

We do have summer early start....same rules as above but an hour earlier....You avoid the heat and the day is not "wasted"...sometimes it works out and other times it doesn't. I think most parishioners would rather start early,

Going to confession early, however, obligates a person to actually observing the fasting rules.... while going in the morning allows them the illusion of luxury in bending the rules. If priests would more actively discourage people from coming at the last minute then there would be less of a problem. But the "barn door" is now open and it will never close.

You will never change the people who go to confession on Sunday morning....most of them come rarely anyway. My suggestion is that you come to church a bit later during the heavy part of lent or if you do come early...go help set up the trapeza for the meal...or help with sunday school if you have one... a quick choir practice while you wait....

However.....remember that patience is a virtue and maybe someone wants to teach you some......

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

In my opinion, the day a Liturgy starts when planned (at least here...) is when it will snow in the summer with 90 degree weather. :) I don't mind it starting late actually... I would stay in Church all day if I could... I love looking at the icons on the Iconastasis and praying silently while waiting for Liturgy to start. I just wish that I could make it to a ROCOR Church more often than I have, I've only visited one time and since then I havnt been able to make it due to moving and now there's none close to me.

MaryCecilia

Logos

Post by Logos »

Divine Liturgy starts at 9:30 with hours at 9. Our priest hears confessions on Saturday nights after Vespers. I like this because this avoids all the mentioned problems and plus it helps me to stay focus Holy Communion on the next day.

John Ivan Yoan

Post by John Ivan Yoan »

We used to begin our "services" about 8:45--but now starts about 9:00. At that time, the akathists for Holy Communion are sung (by a small fairly regular group that shows up). After that is finished, then hours are read, then the service starts more or less around 10:00am.