Incense sticks

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Bryan

Incense sticks

Post by Bryan »

Although developed in Asia, I believe, and used primarily by Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists, Neo-Pagans, and all things between (as far as Eastern religions are concerned), I was wondering what is the Orthodox opinion of incense stick usage...particularly in the case of laymen.

It would be nice if there were some made with the "scents" of our Church - you know, the base ingredient of frankincense and aromas added.

But anyways, I'm just curious what you all have to say. I've been wondering this for a while. I don't mean to be an innovator and please, don't suppose that I'm sanctioning this hypothetical use.

kronstandt

Post by kronstandt »

There actually are some with Orthodoxy in mind, and I believe some even made by Russian monks. I'm not really sure on the cannocity or not in private worship as I have never really given it any thought. That said, the ones I have used are not very good and hardly eminate . . well, anything. I'd save your money and use the old fashion frankensense. It lasts longer and works better.

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

I burn incense here at home during the Magnificat when I do Vespers. If I did Lauds, (which I don't), I'd do the same at the Benedictus.

Personally, I wouldn't use incense sticks, but not out of any reason to with the propriety or otherwise of their use by Orthodox people but rather because I find many of them to contain artificial fragrances and it affects me, often setting me off on sneezing fits. Real incense doesn't have that effect on me.

Also, (and I hasten to say that I do not mean this as a judgement on anybody else's piety), I find it very useful to take the time to pestle frankincense myself and to add essential plant-extracted oils according to the feast or season. It gives me a sense of labour and offering to God that I personally wouldn't feel in just opening a packet of scented sticks. However, as I say, that is no judgement on anybody else and many people who do not have the time or desire to go starting blending their own from scratch would perhaps find it beneficial to have the sticks.

I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with them, especially if they are the sort made by Orthodox monks for the use of Orthodox people (which I hadn't heard of until reading this discussion).

Elpidophoros

Post by Elpidophoros »

Magnificat of Vespers and Benedictus at Lauds???
:shock:

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

The magnificat is sung during the Matins before the Ninth ode af the Canon. Before it is sung the deacon before the icon of the Theotokos, censes it, then says : "Let's praise the Theotokos, Mother of the Light" and then censes the church and the faithful whereas the Magnificat is sung.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

kronstandt wrote:

There actually are some with Orthodoxy in mind, and I believe some even made by Russian monks. I'm not really sure on the cannocity or not in private worship as I have never really given it any thought. That said, the ones I have used are not very good and hardly eminate . . well, anything. I'd save your money and use the old fashion frankensense. It lasts longer and works better.

Do they have a website or something, a way to order them?