Greek Episcopal Funeral Practices

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
drewmeister2
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Greek Episcopal Funeral Practices

Post by drewmeister2 »

Can anyone tell me more about the funeral practice of buring Greek bishops sitting in a chair? For reference, go here: http://www.orthodox-christianity.net/an ... dreas.html to see what I mean.

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV

Kosmas
Jr Member

Yes it is true...

Post by Kosmas »

I wish I knew more about this funeral service however there is something else interesting in the custom of visiting Holy Relics in Greece.
Traditionally we think of going and venerating the Holy Relics where they are but when it is a high-ranking bishop (Patriarch), the relics sometimes are brought to him when he is about to visit the church. I believe this has to do with the ancient custom of the "Host" of the locale going out of the village and welcoming the "guest." Of course this custom cannot occur with certain Relics, which by God's Will can never be moved. This applies with St. Demetrios of Thessalonica.