The Orthodox Church in America

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

GOCTheophan

Post by GOCTheophan »

Pravoslavnik wrote:

Wow. My family and I have been on the verge of joining the local OCA parish--after more than a decade in the ROCOR--but I must say that the lengthy essay about the OCA by "Nicholas Candela" on this thread has given me pause. Two questions. 1) Who, pray tell, is Nicholas Candela, and 2) How, then, can any man be saved? I ceased attending divine services in the ROCOR one year ago--after the ROCOR Synod "voted" (some in absentia, apparently) to accept the "Act of Canonical Communion" with the Moscow Patriarchate--and I have realized by now that I cannot survive as an Orthodox Christian without a bishop or a parish.

Nicholas Candela is a friend of mine. I dont know what more can be said.

Pravoslavnik, the OCA traces what "Canonicity" it has from the MP. It was a modernist schism was ROCOR that went begging to the MP whos history you know for the "Offical status" that they have.

Please read up on their history.

Theophan.

Pensees

Post by Pensees »

stumbler wrote:

ROCOR was never a part of the Moscow Patriarchate, which was established by Stalin and his government. How many times must we refute the propagandistic revisionists who call it a "rejoining?"

You are free to believe schismatic views of apostolic succession, but there can only be one autocephalous jurisdiction in the United States.

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

Post by Sean »

Pensees,

It's amazing that you don't even address the very real blasphemies that are rampant within the Renovationist OCA. The history of these schisms have been laid out in front of you and you can only lean back on calling this "schismatic views of apostolic succession," without even backing up this libel with any facts to counter our objections.

In other words, your mind is already made up and you don't want to be confused with any facts.

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...

Pensees

Post by Pensees »

Sean wrote:

The history of these schisms have been laid out in front of you and you can only lean back on calling this "schismatic views of apostolic succession," without even backing up this libel with any facts to counter our objections.

"Old Calendarist" groups that have broken themselves off from canonical Orthodoxy are schismatic, simple as that. You might as well become a Russian Old Believer.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Pensees wrote:
Sean wrote:

The history of these schisms have been laid out in front of you and you can only lean back on calling this "schismatic views of apostolic succession," without even backing up this libel with any facts to counter our objections.

"Old Calendarist" groups that have broken themselves off from canonical Orthodoxy are schismatic, simple as that. You might as well become a Russian Old Believer.

And once again you have violated the rules here many times over, so once again you are banned, Matthew.

stumbler

Post by stumbler »

The Old Believers, at least those under Bishop Daniel, are now under the MP - and the MP have hosted the clergy under Bishop Daniel at a recent meeting in the hopes of using their knowledge and status to influence the Old Believers in their midst in Russia,

That leaves me a bit unclear on what that remark means.

To be an "Old Believer" now means to be under the MP. I thought you were FOR the MP and its spinoff, OCA.

I am very confused here.

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

Post by Sean »

stumbler wrote:

The Old Believers, at least those under Bishop Daniel, are now under the MP - and the MP have hosted the clergy under Bishop Daniel at a recent meeting in the hopes of using their knowledge and status to influence the Old Believers in their midst in Russia,

That leaves me a bit unclear on what that remark means.

To be an "Old Believer" now means to be under the MP. I thought you were FOR the MP and its spinoff, OCA.

I am very confused here.

I believe he was referring to the priestless Old Believers, which, if I am not mistaken, make up the vast majority of Old Believers in the world. The ROCOR Old believers of Eerie were once priestless Old Believers (incidentally, our Elder Panteleimon had the greatest impact on their entering the Church). There are Old believers in Russia under the MP, and their are also Old Believers who have priests and bishops who derive their orders from bishops who were baptized as Old Believers in their episcopal vestments (one of the most peculiar things I've ever heard).

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...