Persecution of Mount Athos' Esphigmenou Monastery by the EP

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

What is your belief concerning the monks

1. They are defenders of Orthodoxy
74%
  1. Don't know if the are correct - but they are being ill-treated
19%
  1. They are incorrect and are being ill-treated
4%
  1. They are incorrect and are being treated as they deserve
3%

Total votes: 70

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Dearest Helen,

I wasn't talking about you. I understood what you meant. I was referring to another thread. I was referring to a poster-guest named Incognito who appeared on the same day that PriestMark posted that Euthymios was not on the Cafe anymore. You could even be right(the legal factor was a give away).

I had remarked that someone would show up and I meant someone new. No doubt another character, in the future, will show up with good intentions and pleasant conversation and then guide the topic to ultimate Orthodoxy.

I think we all know each other enough to recognize when someone wants to cause trouble.

And I will admit that we may all be from different "jurisdictions", but I come here to have a friendly chat. I've learnt alot in the past 4 years and I'm grateful to the moderators for not booting me out when I got excitable.

But, you know what, when a person proclaims the true way of Orthodoxy, but the reaction to his/her posts brings on negative responses, then that person should realize that they are crossing the line.

Myself, I am a hardcore old calendarist Greek/Russian, convert. BUT, and the big but is, that I have come to understand that the mentality of things like Euthymios expressed are completely fanatical...but, in his case, I think that it was a set up.

I think we are all capable of sensing who is getting upset for the sake of what they believe and those who are doing it for a goal to cause trouble. Nathaniel and Euthymios are an example of real trouble makers. I get an image, in my mind, of a salon, where the bouncer grabs them by the collar and throws them through the swinging doors. And they flip, head over heel in the ground.

But, that's just me.

No worries.

Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Helen

Post by Helen »

I wasn't talking about you. I understood what you meant. I was referring to another thread. I was referring to a poster-guest named Incognito who appeared on the same day that PriestMark posted that Euthymios was not on the Cafe anymore.

Phew!!! Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. :)

Evfimy

Post by Evfimy »

Let us support our brothers in Esphigmenou

http://www.esphigmenou.com/

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

THIS JUST IN!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Breaking news according to http://esphigmenou.com:

POLICE FORCES HAVE SHUT DOWN ALL ROADS LEADING TO ESPHIGMENOU AND ARE PREPARING TO ASSAULT THE MONASTERY

This may be the end. Pray for the Theotokos' intercession on her Holy Mountain.

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

UPDATE from http://news-nftu.blogspot.com/

Two hundred SWAT Police in Karyes and others on the border of Athos close to Esphigmenou.

Attack expected to take place before Thurday, the feast of the Ascension and the monastery's feastday.

Breaking news according to http://esphigmenou.com:

POLICE FORCES HAVE SHUT DOWN ALL ROADS LEADING TO ESPHIGMENOU AND ARE PREPARING TO ASSAULT THE MONASTERY

This may be the end. Pray for the Theotokos' intercession on her Holy Mountain.

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Armed Greek Police Plan to Forcibly Remove Peaceful Monks

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

June 2, 2008

PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Armed Greek Police Plan to Forcibly Remove Peaceful Monks

MOUNT ATHOS, GREECE – Today the Greek government deployed hundreds of armed police to forcibly remove the monks of the Holy Monastery of Esphigmenou from their monastery. Under the leadership of foreign minister Dora Bakoyannis, all roads to the monastery have been sealed off and over 200 police in full riot gear are on Mt. Athos, with an additional 400 police deploying to assist in the pending assault. Their expressed plan is to forcibly remove the peaceful and defenseless monks and their long-standing Abbot Methodios from their monastery, and replace them with those who pray in accordance with the dictates of the Greek government.

The government has authorized the use of force to resolve a religious dispute after failing to starve the monks into leaving their monastery during a 5-year blockade. In this time, they have denied the monks deliveries of food, medicine, heating oil, and access to medical attention while simultaneously subjecting them to a non-stop campaign of official harassment and intimidation.

The local Greek prosecutor, Vasilis Floridis, has destroyed the livelihood of these peaceful monks who seek to be left alone to pray in their monastery. Last week Floridis sent a letter to senior government officials calling the monks a “national threat” and demanding their removal. This is the same prosecutor who in October 2006 threatened “grave consequences” to anyone who dared raise their voice to protest these actions.

The monks have repeatedly requested dialogue with the Greek government as well as Patriarch Bartholomew of Istanbul to resolve this dispute. The Patriarch, who has declared the monks “schismatic,” has refused to aid in the peaceful reconciliation of this dispute.

For the last five years, the U.S. Government has cited Greece for its treatment of the Esphigmenou monks in its International Religious Freedom Report issued by the Department of State.

For more information please contact John Rigas +1-617-971-0091 or visit: www.esphigmenou.com.

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

Post by Sean »

Please send your concerns about the impending assault on the Fathers of Esphigmenou to:

THE GENERAL SECRETARY OF NEW DEMOCRACY (Greece's ruling party), MR. ELEFTHERIOS ZAGROTES (κ. Ελευθέριο Ζαγορίτη ) gram-ke@nd.gr

MRS. DORA BAKOYANNIS
FOREIGN MINISTER
dorabakoyannis@mfa.gr

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...