Elder Joseph the Hesychast

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
drewmeister2
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Elder Joseph the Hesychast

Post by drewmeister2 »

Is Elder Joseph seen as a saint by Old Calendarists and monks on Mt. Athos?

I ask because I am reading about him, and he seemed to live a very holy life.

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by Priest Siluan »

I think that he was first with the Old Calendarist but then before he death he went with the New Calendarist.

προσκυνητής
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC of Greece - Met. Christophoros

Post by προσκυνητής »

The Elder Joseph was a commemorator of the EP until the day he died, so the Old Calendarists do not consider him a saint.

Romanos
Florida, USA

The content of any of my posts is strictly my own opinion and not the official position of St. Menas Greek Orthodox Chapel, the GOC of Greece, nor any of her clergy.

Starman

Post by Starman »

προσκυνητής wrote:

The Elder Joseph was a commemorator of the EP until the day he died, so the Old Calendarists do not consider him a saint.

All the traditionalists I've ever known do commemorate him as a saint and a holy father. The EP was not as bad then as it is today. Keep that in mind.

προσκυνητής
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC of Greece - Met. Christophoros

Post by προσκυνητής »

No Old Calendarist synod recognizes him as a saint. And it would be strange if they did, because (according to what was posted on another forum) he was adamantly opposed to the Old Calendarist movement.

Romanos
Florida, USA

The content of any of my posts is strictly my own opinion and not the official position of St. Menas Greek Orthodox Chapel, the GOC of Greece, nor any of her clergy.

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

προσκυνητής wrote:

No Old Calendarist synod recognizes him as a saint. And it would be strange if they did, because (according to what was posted on another forum) he was adamantly opposed to the Old Calendarist movement.

This is news to me. How could God allow an elder to make this kind of mistake. Maybe it's not a mistake? But it is true the EP was not as bad then as it is today.

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

προσκυνητής wrote:

It's not a movement. The new calendar is the movement and innovation and schism. But seriously why can't people in Orthodoxy agree? Everyone has an opinion like fundementalist protestantism. It is becoming evident to me that Orthodox lacks a head to bind these people together. Traditionalists argue that tradition is our guide, much like protestants argue Scripture is our guide. But no one can agree on the tradition and no one can agree on the Scripture There is something wrong with this picture.

Seriously, I am really starting to doubt eastern Christendom.