The Orthodox Tradition and Political and Social Views

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

The Orthodox Tradition and Political and Social Views

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

According to the Pew Forum, the most supported political and societal views by 0.6% of Orthodox Christians in the USA are the following. Do you agree?

Party Affiliation Among Orthodox: Democrat
Political Ideology Among Orthodox: Moderate
Views About Size of Government Among Orthodox: Bigger Government, More Services (More Taxes, Less Freedoms)
Views About Abortion Among Orthodox: Legal In Most Cases
Views About Homosexuality Among Orthodox: Homosexuality should be accepted by society
Views About Government's Role in Protecting Morality Among Orthodox: Government is too involved in morality
Views About Environmental Protection Among Orthodox: Strict environmental laws and regulations are worth the cost to jobs and the economy
Views About Country's Role in World Affairs Among Orthodox: We should concentrate on problems here at home and not on world affairs

From http://religions.pewforum.org/portraits

Climacus

Post by Climacus »

These are sad figures, especially when we consider the apparent widespread support among Orthodox for murder and fornication (ie: abortion and homosexual marriage). And its particularly troubling to see so many Orthodox support both of those godless agendas in their preference for the Democratic Party. Moreover, I personally shudder at any political ideology that places the civil government at the center, or at the apex of society, though I cannot claim that particular view is due to my being Orthodox.

No doubt this sad situation is due to the nominal/ethnic nature of most Orthodoxy, and the almost total failure of Orthodox Churches to catechize their adherents through sound evangelical preaching, an understandable liturgy, and the systematic study of Scripture.

Kosmas
Jr Member

Archb. Demetrios-politician more than an Orthodox Christian!

Post by Kosmas »

Invocation of His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America
At the 45th Democratic National Convention
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 -- Denver, Colorado
http://directionstoorthodoxy.org/n/arch ... atic_.html

Let us bow our heads in prayer.
Almighty God, the Giver of all that is good and true and noble, we bow our heads before You in thanksgiving for bringing us together at this Democratic National Convention. We offer thanks to You for the great gift of liberty and for the privilege of being residents and citizens of a nation that is called to be a model of justice, peace, and the rule of law. As we give thanks for these blessings, we humbly beseech You, Lord, to remember all of those who have given their lives in defense of these ideals over the course of our Nation’s history, so that through their sacrifices we may partake of the fruits of freedom which we enjoy today.

Guide the work of all the delegates who have assembled here as they vigorously promote the institutions of our democracy. Remember, Lord, Your servants who will be nominated as candidates for the highest offices of our land. Bless them and grant them strength and wisdom, as they work for our nation, and for its great mission among the nations of the Earth. Let them be guided by Your merciful hand, and thus contribute to the peace, prosperity, and security of our country and our world; for You are the source of these great blessings, and to You belong glory and thanksgiving, now and forever and ever. Amen.

Luke 16:13
"No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

No mention of the Lord Jesus Christ and His relation to the Father. No mention of His Church. Could this be considered the last step before out-right denial of Christ?

Matthew 10:33
"But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."

P.S. -Archb. Demetrios has also been invited to offer a prayer at the Republican National Convention .

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

So sad.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)