The Agony of the Church

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
nyc_xenia
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia

The Agony of the Church

Post by nyc_xenia »

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20206/20206-8.txt

Project Gutenberg's The Agony of the Church (1917), by Nikolaj Velimirovic

"If you ask what saintliness ought to mean, Christianity has not to argue but to show you the saintliness in the flesh. Christ the saintly Lord, St Paul and St John, Polycarp and Leo, Patrick and Francis, Sergius and Zosim, St Theresa and hundreds of other saints. And if somebody thinks still that a few thousands of Christian saints are not a sufficient argument to show that saintliness is practicable, then the Church has still not to give her ideal up and to take as her ideal thousands of great and small Napoleons and Bismarcks, and Goethes and Spencers, or Medics and Cromwells or Kaisers and Kings--no, in the latter case it would be much nicer for the Church to point out the saintly men outside of Christian walls, like St Hermes and St Pythagoras, or St Krishna and St Buddha, or St Lao-Tse and St Confucius, or St Zoroaster and St Abu-Bekr. Better even is unbaptised saintliness than baptised earthliness."

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

:shock: Odd quote, if it is authentic.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

More of the quote can be found at http://ecumenicalbuddhism.blogspot.com/ ... saint.html where he does mention Christ and his perceived connection to some of these others'.

nyc_xenia
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia

Re: A question

Post by nyc_xenia »

Steve in Vista wrote:

Hermes, Pythagoras, Krishna, Buddha, Lao-Tse, Confucius, Zoroaster, Abu-Bekr

I must confess, this is curious list.

Ain't it though?

I must confess the curiosity behind the placing of the name of "Saint" so-and-so, before or after such a quote.

:ohvey:

Though I have heard that "later on" this "Saint" confessed a stand which was not so ecumenical and/or heretical. I have yet to see and read (forgive me, I am a doubting Thomas) such verification. Though, I would gladly rejoice in reading the verses where this man renounces openly his former heretical statements posted above.
:shock:

et vidi et audivi vocem unius aquilae volantis per medium caelum dicentis voce magna vae vae vae habitantibus in terra de ceteris vocibus tubae trium angelorum qui erant tuba canituri...