Father Seraphim Rose

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Catherine5

Re: Father Seraphim Rose

Post by Catherine5 »

It seems interest in the Euphrosynos Cafe has perked up, as I see there were 33 people online today!

To make it easier for new readers and old ones, what about dividing up these Miscellaneous threads into separate sub-topics? Readers could navigate right to their own interests rather than wade through what may be for them less compelling discussions.

What about a separate category to discuss historical Emperors, Empresses, Kings, Queens, etc. and - of less interest to me but I know others may prefer - present-day monarchist factions?

It would be VERY educational and likely would draw in interested outsiders reading up on monarchist topics via links that would presumably be generated by internet searches on a monarchist figure.
I myself liked what Jason B. wrote questioning the lineage from a Romanov claimant who wore a red band on his arm! I believe it's important to try to struggle to bring out the most accurate truth possible. Not to bask starry eyed over every last royal figure in history, but to discuss - if anyone else is inclined - to determine who was good, who was maybe not so good.

Now, if a reader is biased against empires and royalty, as large numbers are educated and propagandized to be in Western nations today, he can ignore that section and read elsewhere. It won't offend anyone and could generate fascinating discussion if anyone is willing to participate. Some World Orthodox may hear about and follow thought-provoking discussions, and think to themselves that True Orthodox have something to offer so not to cut them down so much!

What about a "Practical" sub-section, where people could consult other members about any down to earth inquiry. This could include, among others, as brought up earlier, computer / phone / technology related questions or comments recommending products we all use or wish to use.

Another idea too would be at some point having a category for Health Tips, since after all one cannot stay alive to pray if he doesn't keep up good health! Vitality does contribute to mental and emotional and spiritual well-being.

Just tossing out some ideas.
Meanwhile, back to the original topic, I decided to toss out the version of the Seraphim Rose biography sanitized for World Orthodox readers. It was water-damaged badly, otherwise I would have given it to a used bookstore. I only had gotten partway through it before feeling a bit repelled at all the historical revisionism. I only had purchased the book because I was searching for any new information that had been found about ROCOR hierarchs of that era and had earmarked all such pages.

By the way, Joasia, the icon - singular - that I mentioned I had put on the cover was St Mary Magdalene....Hope we can all end the acrimony here.
What about focusing on positives associated with that era of Fr seraphim rose? Such as the contributions of Mary Mansur in starting the newspaper Orthodox America?

Nearly everyone has benefited from those articles either in the original print version or the online one, a historical treasure-trove which I recommend anyone not familiar with that periodical to access for uplifting reading, or to brush up one's memory.

There are explanations of many Icons of the Mother of God, Saints' Lives, historical memoirs of religious significance, other biographies, etc. to browse through even if one has less interest in the 'topics du jour' of those years [1980s-90s]

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Forgive me, I was away this weekend and didn't give due notice. I will try to catch up with events. I'll be away again from Thursday until Monday.

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

Of course, Jonathan, that's only reasonable that you must be elsewhere, especially during Holy Week and Bright Week.
Take your time to catch up, it's right to focus on spiritual matters. No need to be distracted by intellectual matters like this or mundane subjects.
If we don't hear from you, we understand!

I thought after my earlier post of the idea of having an additional section on Current Affairs or maybe New World Order. I would estimate that that latter is of interest to independent-minded people such as those everywhere who see through World Orthodoxy.

Again, these topics could draw in unaffiliated Orthodox or others too who have knowledge about or interest in them.

Plus, all readers from anywhere would be uplifted by getting clear ideas about what's really going on out there in the world.
One can observe events, but without the right background, there is no way to put events into the right context, leading to uninformed points of view.

It seems the Euphrosynos Cafe should carve out a clearer niche for itself which would distinguish it from other Orthodox discussion groups.
Having some unusual or different areas, perhaps clearly categorized for new or even old readers to easily see, would add luster to this Forum's image and increase its appeal.

I really like the existence of the Spanish language translations of material.

-Maybe some day there could be some Arabic translations for Orthodox Arabs throughout the world. They are a growing presence, but probably few hear of the existence of True Orthodox jurisdictions - PARTLY due to lack of material in their own language[s].

Also, what is so terrible about commenting on events in post-union ROCOR?
I see that as useful where others shrug it off as irrelevant.

Shouldn't there be an opening here for that as well? Many readers know something about ROCOR from former days, so I think it's wrong to write off what might well be a continuing interest to see how things turned out for them after becoming a subsidiary of the MP.

Some readers yawn. But for me, it's an instructive example which will not be forgotten if people are reminded by occasional threads here and there which follow ROCOR-MP with the important perspective and insights needed to interpret the news from the Manhattan headquarters of Pravda...just joking here!

Joanna Higginbotham

Post by Joanna Higginbotham »

I can not relate to anyone who would criticize Fr. Seraphim Rose, or noticeably underestimate him. I do not trust those who contradict him. He is my hero. I truly love him.