Orthodox Stores

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Orthodox Stores

Post by Maria »

Regarding purchasing books from HTM, please be careful.

My husband and I are currently reading their book, Papa-Nicholas Planas.

The Introduction written by HTM on page xxxv is of great concern as it uses the logical fallacy of association wherein Abbot Panteleimon is continually praised by Nun Martha. In fact, the stories recalled in that Introduction reveal the HTM cult mentality, which is also seen in some of their other publications. Thus, one must be careful when purchasing items from HTM. However, their incense, prayerbook, psalter, and icons are excellent.

Last edited by Maria on Thu 9 February 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Greg Adondakis
Jurisdiction: HOCNA/HOTCA - BYOA

Re: Orthodox Stores

Post by Greg Adondakis »

Maria wrote:

The Introduction written by HTM on page xxxv is of great concern as it uses the logical fallacy of association wherein Abbot Panteleimon is continually praised by Nun Martha. In fact, the stories recalled in that Introduction reveal the HTM cult mentality, which is also seen in some of their other publications. Thus, one must be careful when purchasing items from HTM. However, their prayerbook, psalter, and icons are good.

Wow, if a comment like that doesn't make it to Intra-TOC polemics, I think we have a bias on this forum.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Greg Adondakis wrote:
Maria wrote:

The Introduction written by HTM on page xxxv is of great concern as it uses the logical fallacy of association wherein Abbot Panteleimon is continually praised by Nun Martha. In fact, the stories recalled in that Introduction reveal the HTM cult mentality, which is also seen in some of their other publications. Thus, one must be careful when purchasing items from HTM. However, their prayerbook, psalter, and icons are good.

Wow, if a comment like that doesn't make it to Intra-TOC polemics, I think we have a bias on this forum.

I self-reported my post, but read that book and see if you likewise find a serious problem with it.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Thanks, Jonathan, for splitting out my post into this forum.

Are there any other books from HTM that are likewise tainted and should be avoided or read with care?

Or maybe I should rephrase this question in a more positive light: Which of the HTM books come highly recommended?

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Maria wrote:

Thanks, Jonathan, for splitting out my post into this forum.

Are there any other books from HTM that are likewise tainted and should be avoided or read with care?

Or maybe I should rephrase this question in a more positive light: Which of the HTM books come highly recommended?

Hello Maria,

I can definitely highly recommend their translation of The Ascetical Homilies of St. Isaac the Syrian. I have the original version which was in print some 20 to 30 years ago, and for a long time was out of print, and could be found on places like E-Bay for 800 to 1000 dollars for a used copy. Now this heavenly book which is without equal is available again in a new revised edition. The key differences if I am correct are that the very long and detailed introduction, lovingly crafted by Fr. Mamas who is also the translator, has been largely removed or edited down, and also there are some previously untranslated texts of St Isaac included in the new edition and which were, of course, not included in the first edition. The book is mostly about the life of prayer, the battle of the passions, and from the point of view of the struggles particular to hermits and solitaries and hesychasts, however, this book for centuries in Russia and other lands was considered a much cherished classic on the life of prayer and warfare against the old nature, and was kept in the homes of many devout laymen and families. I hope you will enjoy the many months and years of spiritual reading and encouragement to be found it it if you purchase a copy. It goes for about 70 USD.

Symeon

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Thanks Symeon.

Several members of the clergy have also recommended that book.
But they did not go into the details like you just did.
I will save up to purchase that one.