The Reality of Sergianism: tangent on tax status

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
catechuman

The Reality of Sergianism: tangent on tax status

Post by catechuman »

In America:

"In 1954, Congress approved an amendment by Sen. Lyndon Johnson to prohibit 501(c)(3) organizations, which includes charities and churches, from engaging in any political campaign activity. To the extent Congress has revisited the ban over the years, it has in fact strengthened the ban. The most recent change came in 1987 when Congress amended the language to clarify that the prohibition also applies to statements opposing candidates.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... 31,00.html

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Re: The Reality of Sergianism - Bishop Stefan of Trenton

Post by Suaidan »

catechuman wrote:

In America:

"In 1954, Congress approved an amendment by Sen. Lyndon Johnson to prohibit 501(c)(3) organizations, which includes charities and churches, from engaging in any political campaign activity. To the extent Congress has revisited the ban over the years, it has in fact strengthened the ban. The most recent change came in 1987 when Congress amended the language to clarify that the prohibition also applies to statements opposing candidates.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... 31,00.html

You can't have a prohibition if you don't buy into the system to begin with. Churches are automatically tax-exempt under US law and do not require IRS sanction. If you buy into the system, you get what you pay for. It should be noted that IRS Educational Documents (which are listed as non-official) indicate that the IRS is quite aware of how risky it can get to shut up a Church on moral issues. That said, 90% of your problem is solved if you don't lobby for a specific candidate in an official capacity, which in truth one shouldn't be doing as a Christian anyway. America is getting worse with control; but we aren't where the Soviets where. Not even close.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

Automatic Exemption for Churches

Churches that meet the requirements of IRC section 501(c)(3) are automatically considered tax exempt and are not required to apply for and obtain recognition of tax-exempt status from the IRS. Although there is no requirement to do so, many churches seek recognition of tax-exempt status from the IRS because such recognition assures church leaders, members, and contributors that the church is recognized as exempt and qualifies for related tax benefits. For example, contributors to a church that has been recognized as tax exempt would know that their contributions generally are tax-deductible.

Recognition of Tax-Exempt Status Religious Organizations

Unlike churches, religious organizations that wish to be tax exempt generally must apply to the IRS for tax-exempt status unless their gross receipts do not normally exceed $5,000 annually.

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)

catechuman

Post by catechuman »

Suaiden wrote:

That said, 90% of your problem is solved if you don't lobby for a specific candidate in an official capacity, which in truth one shouldn't be doing as a Christian anyway. America is getting worse with control; but we aren't where the Soviets where. Not even close.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

Thank you for the information. It is not limited to lobbying but specifically includes opposing. Ultimately, a 501(c)(3) status church/priest agrees in advance that they cannot, for instance, speak out against a God-hating candidate according to the law they have put themselves under. I suspect there is a difference between being "tax exempt", which I believe is a status granted by the IRS vs. being "non taxable" which I think is a status guaranteed by the constitution. Knowing how to avoid the "tax-exempt" status seems to be important. This very well may include not registering with the government to begin with, seeing as the freedom of the church is preserved by the constitution.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I really don't see the link between the original post and the government laws. Perhaps this subject should be re-directed to a new thread.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)