New Pope

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
StephenS
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Not attached presently

New Pope

Post by StephenS »

So they have elected an Argentine Jesuit bishop of Rome, in the name of Francis 1st. Presumably named after the infamous Francis of Assissi, a noted product of spiritual Prelest. As a Jesuit he comes from an order that merits the greatest caution by any devout Christian.

Beware the fruits that follow.

As an aside will he support the Argentine claim on the Falklands?

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: New Pope

Post by jgress »

I would be surprised if he uses his authority to intervene in the Falklands dispute.

I did find the choice of name intriguing. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but every previous Pope has borne the name of a saint recognized in both East and West. This would be the first Pope who bore the name of an exclusively Roman Catholic saint.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

I would be surprised if he uses his authority to intervene in the Falklands dispute.

I did find the choice of name intriguing. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but every previous Pope has borne the name of a saint recognized in both East and West. This would be the first Pope who bore the name of an exclusively Roman Catholic saint.

Yes, the name of "Francis" could be considered to be a slap in the face not only to Orthodox Christians but also to Eastern Catholics as St. Francis was a post-schism Roman Catholic saint.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

StephenS
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Not attached presently

Post by StephenS »

jgress wrote:

My Malvinas comment was a 'tongue in cheek' and simply an aside.

The guy travels by bus and has a reputation for humility. A Jesuit choosing the name Francis puzzles me greatly but is clearly of some significance......

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

StephenS wrote:
jgress wrote:

My Malvinas comment was a 'tongue in cheek' and simply an aside.

The guy travels by bus and has a reputation for humility. A Jesuit choosing the name Francis puzzles me greatly but is clearly of some significance......

The Roman Catholic saint Francis deeply cared for the poor and lived in voluntary poverty. Pope Francis I also has chosen voluntary poverty and has lived a monastic life cooking his own meals and taking public transportation instead of having a chauffeur or driving a Mercedes Benz or Cadillac. As a cardinal, he chastised those priests who would not baptize the babies of unwed mothers saying that those babies needed the saving grace of baptism.

Some in the news media are calling him a conservative while others have labeled him a moderate. Those in the SSPX camp of the Roman Catholic Church consider him to be a liberal.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Lord have mercy. By listening to the people, is he going to give liberals false hopes that will come back to haunt him? Or is he a moderate (read liberal)?

Look at the Newsmax story below:

• In addition, Allen added that Pope Francis is the first to be named from Latin America in more than 1,000 years, how he chose the name Francis — and “before speaking, he chose to listen to God and to listen to the people.

“This is all sending a signal that this is not going to be business as usual,” Allen said.

For the complete story, please read:
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/pope-fr ... z2NSVcTY4W

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Below is another Newsmax story that has warning written all across the page. More than likely, liberal cardinals played a huge role in getting Pope Francis elected. Lord have mercy.

• As for his poliitics [sic], he is described as "more left than most" in the Church hierarchy, one who has expressed some sympathy for liberation theology and helping the poor — though some of this was voiced privately.

Bergoglio likely will not be a transformational pope, but one who continues in Benedict's dogmatic footsteps while not radically changing the Curia, the Holy See's administration.

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/Jorge ... z2NSXoROcp