The Wedding Shirt - an Orthodox morality play

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

The Wedding Shirt - an Orthodox morality play

Post by Maria »

The Wedding Shirt, part 1

The Wedding Shirt, part 2

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: The Wedding Shirt - an Orthodox morality play

Post by Barbara »

So charming !
Really delightful. One can see how talented Russian filmmakers can be! So artistic
and evocative.
Every expression on Maria's face is captured so well to bring out the pathos of the story. Even when the orange shirt takes off on the bus
with its new owner....

The acting is SO good. Natural and real : we have all seen people like each one of them.

The village scene also looks so realistic, too, for anyone who has spent time there.

[The neighbor in the Soviet Union [CCCP] T- shirt is funny for us in the West to see !]

I hope they keep producing more, and even longer films, too.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: The Wedding Shirt - an Orthodox morality play

Post by Barbara »

I recently watched this set again. The filmmakers did well to have the little old ladies sitting on the bench commenting in horror at "the flirt" - probably better translated as "the fling". This was the laborer that Maria hired from the nearby town to clean up the pile of rubble on her property. It is so typical : the way they were dressed, and how they watched all the movements of the village is instantly recognizable everywhere in the world. This device provided a different lens with which to view the unfolding story having the 2 elderly babushkas remarking to each other.

Truly, more such films should be produced as this medium is so much more well received by the younger generations than printed material [ sadly ]. All ages can enjoy these, though, as fun and edifying at the same time.